Dinos 6 racks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jay1340

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2011
Timbuctu, Mali
I wanted to do a christmas special for a couple of Brothers, so I stopped by the HEB & picked up 6 racks of Dinos for $2.08 lb.

Did all the prepping; open the package, cuss, grunt & groan off the membrane & overabundance of fat, rinsed, pat dry, brush with olive oil, rub down, wrap in foil, set in fridge, blah, blah, blah, we all know the drill!

Got out to the county, still a dang burn ban here in tree hugger extremist land against charcoal or wood cooking. Fired up the smoker with some kingsford, threw a log of oak on, popped in the thermometers & thought "About 45 minutes & it'll be up to temp". Cleaned the racks, moved some wood over by the smoker since it's been raining some, I wanted to set a subsequent log on top of the firebox to dry before having to throw it in. Check the thermometer, 185*. HMMM, WTH? Winds 14 mph & swirling gusting around the house. OK, guess I'll open this here intake damper more than 1/8th & see if this thing'll come up to snuff. Yep 15 minutes later it's hitting 225-230*! I love this ole New Braunfels. Grabbed the cooler full of ribs & my two turkey rack now rib racks. put the racks in the smoker, unwrap the 1 st rack, start to put em in the rack! OH Shit, well I'll just lay em over a little bit!. After wiggle & jiggling or jiggle & wiggling, I got a ll 6 racks in the smoker, kind of! Closed te lid & well crap, they're holding the lid 1/8-14" open. Wiggle & jiggle some more, no progress, Ahh hell, grabbed a chunk of oak and used it to hold the lid closed! Did a 2, 1 1/2, 3/4 system with the texas crutch. They turned out good, but going to probably go to 1, 2, 1 system to make em a little juicier!

While smoking it was a little fun to say the least, ptting them in the Texas crutch, getting them all back in the smoker, then taking them back out of the crutch. Sooo, since the Missus bought this old Theater up in Greenville & going to do some fancy smancy dinner with entertainment thing & wants me to smoke meat on certain occasions, right after the holidays the hunt is on for a 250 or so gallon propane tank, plate, break out the welder, let's get busy on the trailer model!

59fba7f9_Dino6racks.jpg

All you have to do is tell the wifey that it's time for a bigger smoker!  Thanks for the Qview.  I have overfilled my smoker in the past knowing that eventually the meat will shrink as it cooks and there will be plenty of room in a while.

I just don't like the lid hitting the meat.  Picks up that gunk I never bother to clean off.

I made my deliveries & one Brother brought up Feral hog hunting and plenty of pork ribs! Since there is no season here in Texas or should I say a 365 day season & no limit! Looks like cheap feral hog ribs, shoulders, sausage, tenderloins, bacon coming up!!!

icon_cool.gif

Now I like thoses ribs and I wish we could find some like that here in Fla.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky