Dino ribs, tips please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Firemedic76

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 27, 2019
So I’m finally gonnawmoke some Dino ribs and I couldn’t be more excited. Now I’ll be at a friends lake house and I’ll be using their traegor pellet smoker. My plan is an 8hr cook if they end sooner fine they’ll just rest before eating. But I’m gonna hit em with the low temp high smoke for the first 1-2hrs then ramp it up to 275 for the remainder also throwing on 3 racks of ribs too. This sound like a sound plan?? Also I’ve seen both leave fat on and trim it off. In the one pick u can seee the silver skin is like to get rid of but I also wanna leave the fat on to render down. Thoughts?? Just gonna season with salt, pepper and lawrys.

Attachments

• 3284CF2D-2BDD-4AEF-9D17-EC003E4EF521.jpeg
    3284CF2D-2BDD-4AEF-9D17-EC003E4EF521.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 64
  • 573B03E8-D6AF-4FF3-B452-929335E64B3F.jpeg
    573B03E8-D6AF-4FF3-B452-929335E64B3F.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 64
  • BA7CF3F4-C89A-4B3E-AB59-1662445E532A.jpeg
    BA7CF3F4-C89A-4B3E-AB59-1662445E532A.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 64
Reactions: JLeonard
Lots of great Dino rib threads that can be searched for tips and techniques. I don't trim mine in the least. Just season them up, put them on, and let them go till they probe tender. Your estimated 8 hour cook is probably pretty close but I've never used a Traeger. Leave yourself some extra time in case they run longer than anticipated though.

Robert

I don't pull the skin off any ribs, beef or pork, and I would not trim the fat, either. Season them bad boys up and let 'er roll. 250℉ give or take until probe tender on the Dinos. The last ones I cooked were done in about 6 hours. For the pork ribs, I'm not a wrapper, so I season and let them go until they start pulling away from the bone, usually about 4 hours. Sauce and let go for another 30 minutes or so and sauce again. Let that go another 30 and they should be done. I also don't check temps on my pork ribs, 5 hours at 250℉ in the smoke and they're usually good bite through done. If you want fall off the bone ribs, after about 3 hours wrap them for an hour with squeeze butter and honey or whatever seasoning you may want. Then unwrap and sauce for 30 minutes or so to set the sauce.

I can't help with the pellet grill, but I'm sure someone will be along who can.

AND, post pics...

I don't pull the skin off any ribs, beef or pork, and I would not trim the fat, either. Season them bad boys up and let 'er roll. 250℉ give or take until probe tender on the Dinos. The last ones I cooked were done in about 6 hours. For the pork ribs, I'm not a wrapper, so I season and let them go until they start pulling away from the bone, usually about 4 hours. Sauce and let go for another 30 minutes or so and sauce again. Let that go another 30 and they should be done. I also don't check temps on my pork ribs, 5 hours at 250℉ in the smoke and they're usually good bite through done. If you want fall off the bone ribs, after about 3 hours wrap them for an hour with squeeze butter and honey or whatever seasoning you may want. Then unwrap and sauce for 30 minutes or so to set the sauce.

I can't help with the pellet grill, but I'm sure someone will be along who can.

AND, post pics...
Ok thanks and I’ll leave em I trimmed and I used this smoker last year so I’m sorta familiar with it and I cook ribs all the time. I appreciate the tips

Trim the fat off the top of the meat and season as you like. I like coarse salt and cracked pepper, maybe some granulated garlic and onion.

Smoke over mesquite, hickory or oak.
Cooking temp should be 275°-300° to get a great bark and render fat and collagen, of which there is plenty.

No spritzing, no wrapping or foiling.

Just like brisket, let them rest before cutting and serving.

Here is one of my cooks.

Last edited:
Trim the fat off the top of the meat and season as you like. I like coarse salt and cracked pepper, maybe some granulated garlic and onion.

Smoke over mesquite, hickory or oak.
Cooking temp should be 275°-300° to get a great bark and render fat and collagen of which there is a lot.

No spritzing, no wrapping or foiling.

Just like brisket, let them rest before cutting and serving.

Here is one of my cooks.
I’ve seen on YouTube guys trim off the fat because there is so much intramuscular fat that trimming off the top doesn’t matter. And I can get with that logic.

SPOG and let the fat do its thing. Smoke'em until done and enjoy. They've been too expensive around here lately. Waiting for a good reason to splurge.

So I cooked em for 2hrs on the low high smoke setting on the treagor then went to 275 and at 8hrs pulled em. And the fat cap was likecthat Fluffy pillowy fat not rendered I was ver disappointed as I could get that slice of the Dino bone it was to hot cuz then people wanted to eat so it cut like a pot roast which sucks. Flavor was great but I wantd that thick meat on bone Dino rib so next time I’m gonna trim the fat a little and let em rest for like hours before I slice em again

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky