Dino Ribs: An Exercise In Simplicity (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great ribs from a great build Robert ! Haven't had beef ribs in a while but they might be on deck for next weekend now..... if I can find any.
And congrats on the ride!

Keith

I am all about the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method of cooking. Your cabinet looks like its almost set and forget simple. Great looking ribs and plate. Simply perfect as usual!
Jim

Those beef ribs look outstanding Robert! Sorry I missed this and if I would’ve known, I may have just called off work and boarded a plane for a plate of that!

Nice work!!

Yesterday was a pretty busy day around Casa Bianca just catching up on piddly things. Knowing it was going to be busy I knew I needed to cook something that wouldn't require a lot of attention. Tracy ran into town for some errands right after breakfast so I decided to fire up the new cabinet smoker and get dinner started....at 9:00 in the morning :emoji_laughing:

The big brown truck swooped down Thursday afternoon and dropped off a little calling card: 12 racks of bone-in beef chuck short ribs.
View attachment 526346

Got a rack out and seasoned it up with the beef rub I put together a couple years ago. Interestingly enough, I made this rub to cook these ribs in a friendly backyard cook-off with some friends.
View attachment 526347

Fire up the smoker and got the TBS running nicely
View attachment 526348

Ribs on just a couple minutes after 9:00. Took about 20 minutes to get it up to 250 and dialed in. After that I didn't have to adjust temp all day
View attachment 526349

At the 3 hour mark
View attachment 526350

The 6 hour mark
View attachment 526351

Odd jobs all done so time to throw together an ugly pot of baked beans. It's just a can of Busch's Original that I doctored up
View attachment 526352

Needed a bowl of equally ugly Cole slaw to go along with the ugly beans. I did make this, unlike the beans
View attachment 526353

Ribs done. They look nice and juicy
View attachment 526354

Yep, they are moist and cut like butter
View attachment 526355

That's a 3-XL hand holding that rib
View attachment 526356

Dinner plated
View attachment 526357

Another ugly pic but the ribs had a really nice bite to them and pulled clean from the bone
View attachment 526358

The "simplicity" aspect isn't just from the standpoint of the dinner items. As far as the ribs went, there was no baste, no mopping, no glaze, no wrapping....nothing. Just put them on and let them go. Every hour and a half or so I'd have to drop another chunk of mesquite into the smoker wood pan but that's it. They were pretty much done in 7 hours but I just dropped the smoker temp back to 180 and let them sit there for a while as we enjoyed a couple of barley pops on the patio. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of smoke ring. I know it doesn't bring anything to the table as far as flavor goes but it sure looks cool. Ribs came out very well. As noted, a perfect bite, juicy, tender, flavorful, and a depth of flavor that just comes along with brisket-on-a-stick. Not a bad meal at all for doing little or nothing to make it happen. These will be the first real BBQ party with the new smoker here in a few weeks as the weather warms up a bit. We will have a few friends over and make pigs out of ourselves eating cow :emoji_laughing:

Well y'all take care. Gonna call this one a wrap and go do.....something. Not sure what but I'll find some sort of a chore that needs to be done.

Robert
Damn - those ribs look friggin' awesome - haven't done those yet, but now on the top of my list!

Yesterday was a pretty busy day around Casa Bianca just catching up on piddly things. Knowing it was going to be busy I knew I needed to cook something that wouldn't require a lot of attention. Tracy ran into town for some errands right after breakfast so I decided to fire up the new cabinet smoker and get dinner started....at 9:00 in the morning :emoji_laughing:

The big brown truck swooped down Thursday afternoon and dropped off a little calling card: 12 racks of bone-in beef chuck short ribs.
View attachment 526346

Got a rack out and seasoned it up with the beef rub I put together a couple years ago. Interestingly enough, I made this rub to cook these ribs in a friendly backyard cook-off with some friends.
View attachment 526347

Fire up the smoker and got the TBS running nicely
View attachment 526348

Ribs on just a couple minutes after 9:00. Took about 20 minutes to get it up to 250 and dialed in. After that I didn't have to adjust temp all day
View attachment 526349

At the 3 hour mark
View attachment 526350

The 6 hour mark
View attachment 526351

Odd jobs all done so time to throw together an ugly pot of baked beans. It's just a can of Busch's Original that I doctored up
View attachment 526352

Needed a bowl of equally ugly Cole slaw to go along with the ugly beans. I did make this, unlike the beans
View attachment 526353

Ribs done. They look nice and juicy
View attachment 526354

Yep, they are moist and cut like butter
View attachment 526355

That's a 3-XL hand holding that rib
View attachment 526356

Dinner plated
View attachment 526357

Another ugly pic but the ribs had a really nice bite to them and pulled clean from the bone
View attachment 526358

The "simplicity" aspect isn't just from the standpoint of the dinner items. As far as the ribs went, there was no baste, no mopping, no glaze, no wrapping....nothing. Just put them on and let them go. Every hour and a half or so I'd have to drop another chunk of mesquite into the smoker wood pan but that's it. They were pretty much done in 7 hours but I just dropped the smoker temp back to 180 and let them sit there for a while as we enjoyed a couple of barley pops on the patio. I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of smoke ring. I know it doesn't bring anything to the table as far as flavor goes but it sure looks cool. Ribs came out very well. As noted, a perfect bite, juicy, tender, flavorful, and a depth of flavor that just comes along with brisket-on-a-stick. Not a bad meal at all for doing little or nothing to make it happen. These will be the first real BBQ party with the new smoker here in a few weeks as the weather warms up a bit. We will have a few friends over and make pigs out of ourselves eating cow :emoji_laughing:

Well y'all take care. Gonna call this one a wrap and go do.....something. Not sure what but I'll find some sort of a chore that needs to be done.

Robert
Did you trim off the membrane on the ribs or leave it on?

Absolutely beautiful!! I dont know anyone that wouldn't be extremely pleased with a plate like that in front of them! That smoker is putting out some real nice stuff Robert !!

Looks crazy good, Robert. I need to make these, just don't see them often around here. Will have to order them instead.

Wow! Nice haul and a perfect cook on the new smoker Robert, I love easy!

Thanks so much Ray. Easy is good most of the time. Once in a while though I like to pull out all the stops and do something nice.

YUM! great work Robert. Super jealous...cant wait to cook something myself again.

Thanks Dave!! We are all looking forward to you getting back in the saddle and creating more amazing food.

Beautiful looking ribs! And a bunch of meat in them...had to be good!

Appreciate it Ryan. They are pretty big. 48 ribs in the order and total weight was just over 46 pounds. That's almost a pound per rib on average. One makes a meal for most folks.

Robert

Looks like a great meal Robert

Thank you Jim. I wouldn't call it great but it certainly was good. Just good ol' authentic Texas BBQ.

Yes, looks fantastic. Easy can be tasty...

Thanks so much, and yes, easy can be good. I've find of adopted that thought process and am making a lot of easy meals. It's still nice once in a while to pull out all the stops though.

Great job on those. Brisket on a stick has become one of my favorite smokes here lately. Yours look like perfection!

Same around here. I hadn't done beef ribs till just a few years ago. Tracy loves pork ribs so that was all we did. On a whim I grabbed a pack of beef ribs at Costco and they have become the favorites over pork, especially these monsters.

Robert

Wow! Looks great! Don't worry about doctored Busch Beans! They are a very good place to start a recipe.

Thanks and yes, we do the doctored Busch's regularly. they are a great start and then you can just make them your own.

Holy smokes batman! Those ribs left me speechless. And I'm so impressed with that smoker you built.

I very much appreciate it my friend. I was happy with the ribs and even more so with the smoker. That thing has performed well beyond my wildest expectations.

No tomato bread but got the Tuscany Tomato and Herb Focaccia. Potato rolls came back in.

Thanks for the kind words Brian and glad you finally got an order in with PP. Their stuff is super good hence very popular.

Robert

Top notch beef ribs there Robert! You did get a bit of a smoke ring. Heck of a job on the cabinet bud

I appreciate it Jake. Figured out what went south with the smoke ring though. Need to make one quick mod to the grate that sits over the burners with the smoker wood pan on it. That should solve my visual issue with the smoke ring.

Sounds like the smoker design is excellent with it holding temp like that.

Thanks so much Jeff. Yes, that smoker is working better than I ever imagined. The double wall steel, more air flow, and the insulation make a huge difference.

Great looking meal. Congrats to you and the Mrs.

Thank you Rob. I truly appreciate it sir.

Robert

Yes Sir! That is outstanding Robert. Your cabinet build strikes again.

Thank you!! That smoker is doing a good job thus far. Still going through the learning curve but getting it dialed in.

Dang, Robert! I just finished eating and now I'm hungry again after reading about these Dino ribs

Sorry about that :emoji_laughing: One thing is for sure though. If you eat a couple of those ribs you won't be hungry again for a while.

Wow! Those look delicious! I know what you mean about the smoke ring, sometimes I can get one in the pellet smoker with a little help and other times I can’t. Not that I’m comparing my CostCo pellet smoker to your amazing fabrication!!!! At any rate, congrats on making it to the newly found spinner! Well deserved!

Very much appreciate the kind words Jed. your comments are interesting though. Any time I cook something on the Rec Tec I always get a great smoke ring. Don't quite get the flavor that I do off a wood burning smoker but always a great presentation. Any time frame for you getting your Bell Fab? Really looking forward to seeing what you do with that thing. your food is always spectacular so this is gonna take it to the next level.

Robert

Just looking at that has me salivating harder than a crackhead in front of an 8 ball. Man, you nailed that hard. If I can ever get my hands on some of these I hope I can make them look half that good. Congrats on the spinner ride my friend!

Well Robert, your exercise was SIMPLY fantastic, pun intended, and here I was eating chicken...🤣🤣. Looks like you've got that cabinet smoker dialed in quite nicely...

Thank you for the kind words Charles. Yes sir, the smoker and I are getting along pretty well. Been an interesting unit to learn though. It works totally opposite of any conventional smoker I've ever used so basically had to start all over from the beginning learning how to make it do what I want it to do.

Those ribs look awesome! Heck, the whole plate does!

Thank you!! I bet with those teeth you could have a blast with a few of those ribs (sorry, I just had to) :emoji_laughing:

Love the ribs Robert. Great job on all the fixin's. Nothing wrong with can of starter beans, and that's our go to kind of Cole slaw

This is a thing of Beauty

Very much appreciate it David. We use the Busch's beans a lot when it's just the two of us. That pic kind of surprised me. It came out better than anticipated but you never know how they will come out till everything is done and pull the pics off the phone. That was about the best pic of ribs I've ever gotten.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Pretty work all around Robert.

Thank you sir although I wouldn't say "pretty". Basic but good, yes but pretty is hard for me to attach to that meal. I do appreciate it though.

Great ribs from a great build Robert ! Haven't had beef ribs in a while but they might be on deck for next weekend now..... if I can find any.
And congrats on the ride!

Thank you for the kind words. Beef ribs are easy enough to find around here but most of them look like they came off the neighbor's cat. Just no meat on them at all so hardly worth the time or expense. Getting the ride was a surprise. I'd posted a few things recently that looked far better but I guess somebody found this one to be worthy. I am honored.

Your cabinet looks like its almost set and forget simple. Great looking ribs and plate.

Thanks Jim, and it is pretty much set and forget. That was part of the design. Heat source is two 6" low pressure propane burners. I built a steel grate that sits over the burners and put a stainless steel pan on that grate with the smoker wood in it. Propane is regulated with a micro adjustable needle valve so once it's dialed in it stays right where you leave it. Just add another chunk of wood to the pan once in a while and let it do it's thing. Works like a dream.

Robert

Those beef ribs look outstanding Robert! Sorry I missed this and if I would’ve known, I may have just called off work and boarded a plane for a plate of that!

Thanks Joe and my apologies. Next time I'll give you a couple hours notice....and make sure to do an additional rack.

Damn - those ribs look friggin' awesome - haven't done those yet, but now on the top of my list!

Thank you very much. I was happy with them and more importantly so was Tracy.

Did you trim off the membrane on the ribs or leave it on?

I leave the membrane on. there's no meat on the bottom of the ribs and being the she likes the ribs super tender, t helps hold them together if I got a few minutes too long with them.

Robert

Absolutely beautiful!! I dont know anyone that wouldn't be extremely pleased with a plate like that in front of them! That smoker is putting out some real nice stuff Robert !!

Thanks so much Travis. Yes sir, I'm loving that smoker. The thing cooks like a dream. I just wish it hadn't taken two tries to get it right. That was a lot of wasted time :emoji_astonished:

Fantastic looking ribs! Congratulations on the Feature!

Thank you KC, on both counts. not that it matters but I sure am happy to see you here :emoji_wink:

Looks crazy good, Robert. I need to make these, just don't see them often around here. Will have to order them instead.

I feel your pain. we see them but not like these. The ones around here are scrawny little things with little or no meat on them but carry a big price tag. It's painful sometimes to buy in such huge quantities but the pricing and quality are outstanding.

Robert

Reactions: kilo charlie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky