Did I miss something?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steve nellett

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Port Clinton, OH
Seems to me there is a lot of variety of temps among smokers, but my cheap electric brinkman never seems to get above 200 degrees as measured at the thermometer I installed in the lid.   Is this low temp standard for these models?

Have you tried a wired probe therm at meat level just above the grate.  Lid therms are quite often off. 

Good luck and good smoking.

Not yet, I have a few things I need to get at the store soon, I'll need to look for a wired model, or maybe I'll go try using a potato!

I'm afraid I might have an electrical issue in my garage, it looks to have been kinda slapped together way back when...

You can get a cheap analog dial thermo from Wally world for a couple of bucks to see if you are in the ballpark.  Even a oven thermo that sits on the grill will give you an idea.

Unless your garage wiring is really screwed up I don't see how you would have amperage problems without blowing a breaker or melting wire.   Don't run a long extension cord, they will overheat and you will not get sufficient amperage to your smoker

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky