Did I miss something?

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by steve nellett, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Seems to me there is a lot of variety of temps among smokers, but my cheap electric brinkman never seems to get above 200 degrees as measured at the thermometer I installed in the lid.   Is this low temp standard for these models?

2. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Have you tried a wired probe therm at meat level just above the grate.  Lid therms are quite often off. 

Good luck and good smoking.

3. Not yet, I have a few things I need to get at the store soon, I'll need to look for a wired model, or maybe I'll go try using a potato!

I'm afraid I might have an electrical issue in my garage, it looks to have been kinda slapped together way back when...

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yep what Merv said, you need to know the temp on the grate where the meat is.

5. alblancher

alblancher Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

You can get a cheap analog dial thermo from Wally world for a couple of bucks to see if you are in the ballpark.  Even a oven thermo that sits on the grill will give you an idea.

Unless your garage wiring is really screwed up I don't see how you would have amperage problems without blowing a breaker or melting wire.   Don't run a long extension cord, they will overheat and you will not get sufficient amperage to your smoker