Diablo shrimp and fish tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Had family over for a little fiesta tonight. Low carb charro beans , cumin spiced tilapia tacos with cilantro lime slaw , cotija cheese and shaved red onion, Spicy Diablo shrimp tacos with cool creamy avocado , cilantro and crema. I marinated the shrimp overnight in some olive oil, garlic and chili Morita paste. Shrimp and fish were both cooked on the Blackstone Griddle. Shrimp was finished in the Diablo sauce on the griddle in a cast iron wok. Diablo sauce was tasty and legit with a base of guajillo, arbol and New Mexico peppers with roasted tomato and onion. Charro are black soy bean based with plenty of bacon, chorizo , onions, poblano , chicken stock and spices. Tilapia had a nice spice blend made from a recipe tx smoker tx smoker shared and the slaw with angel hair cabbage, lime juice , sour cream and cilantro was a nice contrast to the spices. Not my best plating as quality time with the family was the focus. It was a home-run with everyone.
F3F48738-6D3F-4A0D-9486-550BC93DDD7D.jpeg
119ADD53-D0E3-413C-BCA3-91464F723102.jpeg
A892F802-A791-4312-927C-3918E1306F50.jpeg
0EBD9BE8-6B83-4121-AA1E-38CF48BBF797.jpeg

Looks delicious Jeff! Some great food with family! Was a great night for it... we had supper with relatives from Sarasota Fl. And from Texas!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Wow … looks great …. Curious why you decided to do the Diablo finish in a wok on the griddle rather than directly on the griddle? (I have wondered how well the heat transfers from the flattop to another pan)

Fine looking meal. Do you have a recipe for the Charro Beans? I've never heard of these. Now in the last couple weeks the names has popped up a few times. Thanks...JJ

Fine looking meal. Do you have a recipe for the Charro Beans? I've never heard of these. Now in the last couple weeks the names has popped up a few times. Thanks...JJ
I posted up my general recipe in the thread linked below. You have to be careful with the chili powder and chipotle paste amount as I learned on my second batch. Too much and you taste like chili. I ended up adding additional broth on this round. Flavor wise should taste like Mexican spiced pork and beans. The first round I made this up outta my head and adjusted to taste. My notes were apparently off a bit but directionally a good start. The traditional bean to use would be pinto. I’d use just half the chili and chipotle paste I noted and work from there. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chile-lime-fajitas-and-charro-beans.309316/

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Thanks. The beans sound good. Looked at a couple other recipes, yours sound better...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky