Detroit Pizza question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I am from Tn but some how or another I awoke in Detroit in 1964, I was 3 years old and some dang how we were transported , mom had gotten a job with Fisher Body, we stayed there a very short time and moved to Lavonia, Mt Clemens then Rochester hills ,at 11 years old we came back home. I eat plenty of Pizza while we were there but almost 50 years latter I couldn't tell ya if it had sauce on it or not lol I will get back up that way in a year or 2 just to look around and will make sure I try some out and report back.
I lived New Baltimore until 21. Right there by Mt Clemens.

23 mile rd was where we lived, went to Ojibawa elementary, everything in them days was boiled or fried lol was rare we had grilled food and if we did it was a burger maybe and hot dogs on a willow branch , only kids names I remember is jim and james ureel , I probably spelt that wrong but it happens

Looks just like a damn jets pizza lol. Nice job. Jalapenos on a corner piece for me please
Here are a couple of pics of my pizza stone set up. Cook at 500 degrees for about 8 minutes. Yum.
bbq1.jpg
bbq2.jpg
bbq3.jpg

Reactions: TNJAKE
If you are into pizza you simply must have the Pizza Bible, but heads up it's intense. Dough recipes are based on weight multi phase/day steps, etc. Whole chapter on Detroit pies. I recall there is some debate on the topping order but I am of the opinion it is like most with added extra sauce on top. Some disagree and say sauce only on top. I plan to get into this style once I make some spicy pepperoni, which IMO is real hallmark of the style. From Ohio and spent much time in Motor City...
I like Tony G but his book is hard to follow and bonces around way too much for me.
I'm easily confused though.
Bakers percentages are the only way to go though. It makes scaling recipes up or down so much easier.
I just ate at Tony's restaurant last night for dinner and I have to say that I was completely let down. His pride and joy dough recipes sucked big-time. Of course he wasn't there and his minion's made the pies. I'll just say I won't be going back ever at the prices he charges he should be throwing pies tableside and building each pie like he is competing again. Good luck with that book, don't mind the ego and break out your highlighter and post-it notes.
Hahahahah.

There are some great recipes for dough in the book if you can follow them, took me a while to get them down to my liking.

There are way better instructors out there that are more ego friendly in my humble opinion. Hahahaha!!!

I have family in Detroit and would there almost every summer as a kid. The didn't call it detroit style pizza, just pizza. Lol. And we ate alot of it.
Of all the recipes I have tried, chef Kenji J.Lopez at seriouseats.com is on point.
The hard part is getting brick cheese which is authentic, with mozzarella. Which is a Sicilian pizza, according to the locals. Fortunately I can get brick cheese and have made this many times.......kenjis pan pizza recipe is great too.
Screenshot_20201011-015742_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: zwiller
OMG that pic! Grease from the brick cheese, crunchy crust edge, burnt to a crisp pepperoni, stripes of sauce floating on top flecked with herbs...

Reactions: Jimbo9414
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky