1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Design Input for electric smoker

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by coz, Dec 7, 2006.

1. coz

coz Meat Mopper OTBS Member

I am getting ready to start building myself a multi fuel smoker.I just got my fat little paws on a bunch of sheet metal scrap from work.I am thinking that I would like to be able to use electric, propane or on the rare occasion that I have time to play with it wood.I found a source for the burner for the propane.( I believe it is a site sponsor).My thoughts are that the electric components will come from an electric stove unless Cheech can train me in doing a controller like his.I am a fabricator :) but my electrical knowledge not so good :cry: I am looking for some input as far as insulation and if there is any advantage to having a hip or slant style roof vs a flat roof.I realize for most manufactured units the flat roof is most likely a result of the bean counters holding the cost down.As I look at the sites for the custom manufacturers I see a lot of the slanted or hip style roofs.I am figuring approximate inside size of 40"x40" or wherever the steel leads me.Height inside roughly 40-60".I havent sorted thru the skid of steel yet but looking at it leads me to believe that this size is possible.Also has anyone ever had any smokers with a teflon type coating on the inside.I will be building the racks from stainless so I am not held down to any specific size due to having to use manufactured racks.If there is any interest I will to a pictoral history as I go.Any input is welcomed as I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this site!

2. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Coz as for the style I am not sure weither a slanted roof or straight would be better. My first thought is that the slanted my help with circulating the air a bit better.

As for the electrical part I would love to help you with it. I have had a stack of old temp controllers around. Let me see if there are any that will work (some have elevated temperature settings) if I do I will get one over to you.

3. mdk

mdk Fire Starter

Cheech,

Do you have any pics of your home made smoker? I am interested in how you made your control unit and heat source.
    My brother in law has a "proofer" that was used for bread. It is 6' tall and is thermostatically controlled. I am going to turn it into a smoker but am not sure what to do about a smoke source. I was thinking about a hot plate but I am not sure if that will work. It cool thing about a proofer is that is has a spot to add water to add humidity to it. I have not seen it, my brother was telling me about it at Christmas and we came up with some ideas on turning it into a smoker. He has a 3 foot model as well.

Thanks,
    MDK

4. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member