Design Input for electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coz

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Montello,Wi
I am getting ready to start building myself a multi fuel smoker.I just got my fat little paws on a bunch of sheet metal scrap from work.I am thinking that I would like to be able to use electric, propane or on the rare occasion that I have time to play with it wood.I found a source for the burner for the propane.( I believe it is a site sponsor).My thoughts are that the electric components will come from an electric stove unless Cheech can train me in doing a controller like his.I am a fabricator :) but my electrical knowledge not so good :cry: I am looking for some input as far as insulation and if there is any advantage to having a hip or slant style roof vs a flat roof.I realize for most manufactured units the flat roof is most likely a result of the bean counters holding the cost down.As I look at the sites for the custom manufacturers I see a lot of the slanted or hip style roofs.I am figuring approximate inside size of 40"x40" or wherever the steel leads me.Height inside roughly 40-60".I havent sorted thru the skid of steel yet but looking at it leads me to believe that this size is possible.Also has anyone ever had any smokers with a teflon type coating on the inside.I will be building the racks from stainless so I am not held down to any specific size due to having to use manufactured racks.If there is any interest I will to a pictoral history as I go.Any input is welcomed as I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this site!

Coz as for the style I am not sure weither a slanted roof or straight would be better. My first thought is that the slanted my help with circulating the air a bit better.

As for the electrical part I would love to help you with it. I have had a stack of old temp controllers around. Let me see if there are any that will work (some have elevated temperature settings) if I do I will get one over to you.

Cheech,

Do you have any pics of your home made smoker? I am interested in how you made your control unit and heat source.
My brother in law has a "proofer" that was used for bread. It is 6' tall and is thermostatically controlled. I am going to turn it into a smoker but am not sure what to do about a smoke source. I was thinking about a hot plate but I am not sure if that will work. It cool thing about a proofer is that is has a spot to add water to add humidity to it. I have not seen it, my brother was telling me about it at Christmas and we came up with some ideas on turning it into a smoker. He has a 3 foot model as well.

Thanks,
MDK

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky