Delicious Double Briskets from 4th of July!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokedlover

Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Portland, OR
20190704_214223.jpg
20190703_224337.jpg
20190704_000524.jpg
20190704_075109.jpg
So, I decided that brisket must be had for the 4th of July, and with about 15 ppl coming over, I needed to ensure leftovers so I opted for two since they were almost identical in weight @ 15# and 14.92# and less than 10% trim loss.

I used the most coarse setting on my pepper grinder and did 1 cup of fresh ground black pepper with my fantastic automatic grinder, 1 cup of coarse sea salt, and 1 tablespoon of smoked spanish paprika. Toying with names for this - Spanish Dalmatian or Red Dragon.. Anyway, fantastic as usual.

I fired up my MAK 2 Star General about 1130p.. used 1/2 hickory and 1/2 mesquite pellets (25% of each is alder). I prefer this over oak as I think it adds more flavor. Also added some small ramekans of apple cider vinegar to maintain moisture..

Finished seasoning the two slabs of steer and by 1145p on July 3rd, they were on. I'm a big believer of 203 as the number that works for me and I pulled these at 445p on 4th of July after 17 hours on smoke. Will say, they weren't prime but as you can see, the marbling on these Angus boys was fantastic and the meat was spectacular.

For finishing sauces I used a local spicy red vinegar from Podnah's and also batched up some of Aaron Franklin's classic sauce. The whole thing was delightful - the first brisket got an hour of rest, the second didn't come out until 5 hours later but was still smoking hot thanks to the cooler and wraps.
20190703_224337.jpg
20190704_000524.jpg
20190703_224337.jpg
20190704_000524.jpg

giphy.gif

Great job! That bark looks awesome and love the spice blend names! Spanish Dalmation. Red Dragon seems like it needs a cayenne kick too!

Did any survive for leftovers?

Like :emoji_thumbsup:

Great looking briskies, Looks like they turned out great. Like...
Congrats on the carousel ride.

What grate temp did you maintain for 17 hours, 225º?

Maybe call it: Brisket Española ?

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Great job! That bark looks awesome and love the spice blend names! Spanish Dalmation. Red Dragon seems like it needs a cayenne kick too!

Did any survive for leftovers?

Like :emoji_thumbsup:
I agree - Spanish Dalmation seems to be the winner. And yes, a few pounds made it for leftovers! Next post will be about the beef ribs I did on Sunday...

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky