Deli type roast beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I have a rolled rump roast in the freezer left from the last beef we butchered.

If I smoked/ cooked it and sliced thin would it be close to the roast beef in the store? Sliced thin would it hold together?

What IT would I go to.

Thanks
/ message sig

not much of a answer for ya here. havent done a rump in a while. been  using sirloin tips. i very seldom let mine get over 135. i shave mine almost paper thin on a old berkel deli slicer. i usually buy whatever is cheapest for sammich meat cause im slicing it so thin. 

Last edited:
I would want mine more done than that thou.

Would the rump roast work?

I would want mine more done than that thou.

Would the rump roast work?
Wouldn't see why not.

I specifically wanted "Rare RB for Sammies" like they have in Delis.

If you want it more done just run it up a little higher, like 150* IT.---I think---I never went past 142*IT.

Bear

That's what I want deli meat sliced thin.

Thanks

like the others said if you cool it down enough and use a well sharpened slicer it will slice like roast beef.bottom flat which the rump is attached too is what most of the markets use for roast beef.

For a deli style roast beef, the closest I have come is in an oven.

12289088974_4f25f75bb6_c.jpg

• Preheated the oven to 550°

• Season both sides of the meat with Butter and Soy Sauce.

• Coat Liberally with Montreal steak seasoning and granulated garlic.

• cook on high heat 550° at five minutes per pound turn off the oven and leave undisturbed in the oven for two hours... no peeking
The initial high heat gives it a nice crust and the 2 hour rest in the oven helps cook it rare all the way through more evenly.

A brine would help also

For a deli style roast beef, the closest I have come is in an oven.

12289088974_4f25f75bb6_c.jpg

• Preheated the oven to 550°

• Season both sides of the meat with Butter and Soy Sauce.

• Coat Liberally with Montreal steak seasoning and granulated garlic.

• cook on high heat 550° at five minutes per pound turn off the oven and leave undisturbed in the oven for two hours... no peeking
The initial high heat gives it a nice crust and the 2 hour rest in the oven helps cook it rare all the way through more evenly.

A brine would help also
I want it more done than that.   I guess I would just cook it longer.

Rump is going to be a bit tougher than Deli roast beef, especially if you go past mid-rare to medium or more.    Sirloin Tip would be a much better cut to go with for what you want.

That said, I love me some mid-rare rump roast like the one SQWIB posted.  .  Carve off some 1/8th or 1/4 inch slices, slather on a nice brown gravy, hit it with some salt and you are good to go

Last edited:
Thanks, I am going to shave it on the slicer.

I am going to try it, just took it out of the freezer to thaw.

My mini will get over 400? Will that work?

I will have to try this beef thing in my smoker.  I have the slicer, I have the smoker, I can get the beef.  But truth be told, we were going to get a good beef roast, slice it while partially frozen, bag it in some bags, enough for one or two servings, so as to make some Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches.  But then again, I will wait for a beef sale and get ourselves 2 roasts and do both!

I will start a thread this weekend.

For true Deli-Style Roast Beef, use a whole top round, that is what it is made from.

Inject it with a beef flavoring marinade - Chef Jimmy could do you a nice one!  

Cook it in the oven or smoker to desired doneness.  Slice thin or shave.

Reactions: stlmyke

For true Deli-Style Roast Beef, use a whole top round, that is what it is made from.

Inject it with a beef flavoring marinade - Chef Jimmy could do you a nice one!  

Cook it in the oven or smoker to desired doneness.  Slice thin or shave.
Thanks, I just have this rolled roast that I don't really know what to do with .

I thought some roast beef would be really good.

Thanks, I just have this rolled roast that I don't really know what to do with .

I thought some roast beef would be really good.
C Farmer,  yes, it will work.    As Pops said, Top Round would be closer to true "Deli style" sliced roast beef.  A Rump roast is part of the bottom round, which isn't quite as tender as Top.    You can cook it like SQWIB does, just take it to a higher temp.  Or, you can slow cook it at a lower temp like Bear does his Sirloin Tip.  If you move away from "Deli style" sliced roast beef,  you can cut slightly thicker slices,  like you would for a Tri Tip or a London Broil.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky