Deleted

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sfprankster

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 6, 2015
Deleted
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I keep looking and yet to find that animal in the meat section. I will be watching yours

Richie

Ask your butcher for the bottom tip of the sirloin. They'll know what it is.

I think tri tip is a left coast thing. It's a mainstay of Santa Maria(CA) bbq.
I have my doubts They are more known as meat cutters here LOL

Richie

I keep looking and yet to find that animal in the meat section. I will be watching yours
Richie
They don't have them here in the meat cases either, Richie, but like prankster said; ask for it. You may be surprised! I've gotten them at two different major groceries. The butchers/cutters know what they are and will cut you one if they have the right piece to cut from (makes you wonder what they do with that piece of meat normally...).
Don't expect $2.99 a # though LOL. Heck, you can't get ground beef for that here. It's been $6.99 a # every time I've gotten it, but it's worth it!
Dan

I made them for the first time on Mothers day for my wife's family. I have only seen them before on the far reaches of the internet on places like this. I finally got some through a restaurant supply house last week. A case was 58lbs at $3.99 a lb. So I fired up the Santa Maria and off we went! Tri tips will be on regular rotation on my menu from now on!

I'm with you Richie never see them in the stores here either. I have a friend who is a meat cutter who corrected me for calling him a butcher so he says a butcher is the guy who slaughters the beef a meat cutter divides it into the various cuts. whatever. 
biggrin.gif

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky