Delayed New Year’s Day. (Pork & Kraut)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Delayed New Year’s Day. (Pork & Kraut)

Sorry I’m so late, but things were a bit messed up back around New Years, around here.
My Brother Jim was in the Hospital with a bad dose of Covid-19, about a week before Christmas.
Then we had Christmas, and our 52nd Wedding Anniversary was on Dec 27.
Then We lost My Big Brother Jim on December 29th, so I wasn’t much with it at that time.
I didn’t take notes when I took Pics, so I’ll try to go by memory, the best I can.

So Mrs Bear wanted to do a Pork Roast in Her Crockpot, but due to Covid problems We could only get Pork Loin.
Oh well, “Them’s The Breaks”—Pork Loin it is.

So Mrs Bear put the Pork Loin in her Pot with some water, on High for a start @ about 9 AM.
Then about Noon, she put the Kraut in. A while later, she turned it down, because It was already at the pulling Temp.
So I pulled the Pork, while she was gathering the Kraut & putting it in a bowl.
Then I plated mine up with some Pulled Pork, Mashed Taters with a Big Hunk of Butter, and some Kraut.

Then the second night, I put some BBQ Sauce on two half rolls, and a pile of Pulled Pork on each.
I left these two open & ate them with a Fork, so I could get more meat on the roll. Added some Cranberry Sauce too.

The Third night’s Supper found me doing the same thing, but with 3 Half Rolls.

And the Fourth Night’s Supper the same thing with 3 more.
I used Mrs Bear’s BBQ Sauce & a bunch of Frank’s Hot Sauce on each of these open face Sammies.

That’s about it for New Year’s Day, 2021.

Bear

One Piece of Pork Loin in the Old Crock:
IMG_6521.jpeg

Kraut added @ Noon:
IMG_6522.jpeg

Here's that Walnut End Grain Cutting Board, that Bear Jr made for Me. He routed "Bearcarver" in it with his CNC Router, and filled it:
IMG_6523.jpeg

One Hunk of Pork Loin ready to pull:
IMG_6524.jpeg

Pulled Pork:
IMG_6525.jpeg

Bear's first Helping of Mashed Taters with Butter, Pulled Pork, and Easy on the Kraut (High in Sodium):
IMG_6526.jpeg

Mrs Bear's BBQ Sauce on half rolls:
IMG_6528.jpeg

2 Open-Face Pork BBQs, with Cranberry Sauce on the side:
IMG_6529.jpeg

Mrs Bear's BBQ Sauce on 3 Half Rolls:
IMG_6533.jpeg

3 Open-Face Pork BBQs:
IMG_6534.jpeg

Heating up the last of the Pulled Pork, with Mrs Bear's BBQ Sauce & some Frank's Hot Sauce:
IMG_6537.jpeg

3 more Half-Rolls Ready:
IMG_6538.jpeg

Last 3 Open-Face Pork BBQs:
IMG_6539.jpeg

The pork and kraut look good Bear! This was the first year that I didn’t have it for New Year’s Day. No need to be sorry, 2020 turned out to be a sh*t year for a lot of us.

Great looking meals Bear! I've never had Pork done that way with the Kraut, but sounds real good. Love that board Bear Jr. made. Stay safe my friend.

Diversification Bear, that's what it's all about buddy :emoji_wink: Or as they say "variety is the spice of life" and you certainly made a variety of meals with the pork. Nice job sir!!

Robert

Some great looking meals there John, beautiful cutting board too, Like! I never tried kraut on PP, just on my sausage sannys, might have to give that a shot. RAY

That's a bunch of meals, looks good, Tell Linda Hey from Bobbie and I

Gary

Looks like ya had some tasty meals there bear , I think I would be afraid to use that board it's so nice.

Looks like ya had some tasty meals there bear , I think I would be afraid to use that board it's so nice.

I agree 100%. Not only is it nice, it is from the heart being that Bear Jr. made it for him. I'm betting that Bear never uses it for cutting though, just serving as he did here. If it were mine, I'd hang it on the wall and show it off as the work of art that it is.

Robert

Used to have that with pork neck bones and apples in the kraut .
Got yourself a bunch of good eats out of that one . Nice work .
Love the board .

Good looking meal. Love that board Jr did.
Jim

Thank You Jim!!
Appreciate that!

Bear

The pork and kraut look good Bear! This was the first year that I didn’t have it for New Year’s Day. No need to be sorry, 2020 turned out to be a sh*t year for a lot of us.

Thank You Xray!!
Yup---Definitely My worst year, and I had a few Bad ones!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Man that looks good. I love the cutting board. Jana & I are obsessed with cutting boards. We have too many :emoji_laughing:

Bear, just making it TO the New Year was a major accomplishment for y’all :emoji_thumbsup:
And so far, not much “New” to be found.
But ‘Welcome back’ in a fashion ...

Great looking meals Bear! I've never had Pork done that way with the Kraut, but sounds real good. Love that board Bear Jr. made. Stay safe my friend.

Thank You Mike!!
This is the way we've been doing New Year's Day since we got our first Crockpot, about 50 years ago.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Diversification Bear, that's what it's all about buddy :emoji_wink: Or as they say "variety is the spice of life" and you certainly made a variety of meals with the pork. Nice job sir!!

Robert

Thank You Robert!!
Long before I ever had a Smoker, this was the way I made Pork BBQ, but it was usually with what they called a "Pork Roast", and was in a Net Bag.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Some great looking meals there John, beautiful cutting board too, Like! I never tried kraut on PP, just on my sausage sannys, might have to give that a shot. RAY

Thank You Ray!!!
We've been doing this meal on New Year's Day for 50+ years, since My parents & Her parents handed it off to us.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That looks mighty fine Bear :-) And that cutting board, beautiful work ! I have never tried pulled pork and kraut, but I'm going to now.
So sorry to hear of your brother. Lost my younger brother years back because of heart problems.
Here are a couple of pics of my pork butt I did a couple of days ago. For some reason they always turn out great following your directions :-)

Attachments

• IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 2

Thank You Jim!!!
LOL---This is the first time I used it, and it was just to pull the Pork---The Electric knife doesn't go near it.
He said I should use it, because he can always run it through the Drum Sander again, but I just can't do it.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I agree 100%. Not only is it nice, it is from the heart being that Bear Jr. made it for him. I'm betting that Bear never uses it for cutting though, just serving as he did here. If it were mine, I'd hang it on the wall and show it off as the work of art that it is.

Robert

You're right about that, Robert. No way would I let my Electric knife get near this cutting board.
And He made us a little Clip that the board fits into, standing on it's edge on the counter, next to the Fridge, in full display.

Bear

Used to have that with pork neck bones and apples in the kraut .
Got yourself a bunch of good eats out of that one . Nice work .
Love the board .

Thank You Rich!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky