Dehydrator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

revid

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Looking at buying a dehydrator for making jerky and or sausages. Couple I looked at get temps up to 170 degrees( Cabela’s). Is this good/ high enough for what I need?

I would say yes. Anything higher than that and you are cooking instead of dehydrating. Make sure you get one a little bigger than you think you need right now. Once you start making jerky and sausage, you'll want to make more and more and bigger batches. :-)

Reactions: revid
RV, 170 is all you'll need for the high end temp. I have an Excaliber model which goes to 165 or 170 and has served me well over the years.

I am still using a Nesco that I got from walmart about 20 years ago for less than 40 bucks and it is still going strong. Use it a lot year round for jerky, fruit, peppers, you name it. Its not the biggest or the best but it was cheap and still keeps going.

I've had a few over the years. The only thing I hated with them was the plastic trays. And how big of a PITA they were to clean. If I got another. I would find something with better trays. Some have stainless steel trays. Though with SS trays. The price goes up. I just bought some jerky pans. And use my oven.

Reactions: uncle eddie
My very well used Open Country forced air dehydrator only goes as high as 155F. Most items I dehydrate are in the 125-135 range. For wild game I will run it at max for an hour or so before turning it down to finishing temps.

Be sure to use cure when dehydrating meats for jerky.

I've had a few over the years. The only thing I hated with them was the plastic trays. And how big of a PITA they were to clean. If I got another. I would find something with better trays. Some have stainless steel trays. Though with SS trays. The price goes up. I just bought some jerky pans. And use my oven.

Steve H Steve H - my plastic trays clean fine on the extended sani-cycle in the dishwasher. Also, lightly spraying the plastic trays with non-stick cooking spray helps a ton.

Reactions: Steve H
My trays don't fit in my sink well and 10 trays don't fit in my dishwasher. I bought a bus tray and stack them all in here. Fill with 160° hot water and an oxyclean soak until I can handle it. Usually only need a light scrubbing in a couple of spots.
200343.jpg
I like the idea of cooking spray. Might consider that next time if I'm doing anything sticky or sweet.

Sadly (happy for my dogs), most of my dehydrating is for dog treats. Sometimes I'll throw a tray or 2 for wife and I. But mostly sees chicken feet, tendon, tripe and skins.

What model you have phathead69?
Here it is last year. Blanket across the top and tented in back. I put a lit anmps tube under it . It pulls smokey air in from bottom and exhaust out back. Since I add smoke I have to use out side so the blanket helps with heat retention in cold weather. I think it's the excalibur unit. Probably 15 years old or more. I'll get the exact numbers off it if you need them.
20181111_102841.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky