defrosting a pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonzo01

Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Hey guys wondering if you could help me. I was elected to bring pulled pork to our thanksgiving party Friday. I have a frozen pork butt but I am not sure how to defrost it with out messing it up. I don't have 3 days to do it. I have to get it on the smoker tomorrow night. Any advice would be great even if you say go out and get another one and leave that for when you have time. Appreciate the advice. thanks

If my timing were that tight I’d likely consider going out and getting one not frozen. That’s likely why I have several in the freezer still frozen :)
I agree with this method. The water trick would be probably ok. May not give you much seasoning time though.

With large roasts, turkey, etc, I place the meat in a large stock pot, that will allow the meat to be covered in water. The whole deal goes in the Bathroom Tub, cover completely with cold water and set the cold water just to a Drizzle. The running water keeps the water moving to quickly defrost the meat. It's fast and no risk of the meat getting too warm...JJ

Reactions: jcam222
I defrost turkeys and butts in a cooler filled with cold water.
Ditto above. A pork butt is always done by the next morning. You can float some ice in the water as a visual reference for temp, but this time of year it isn't a problem unless you live someplace warm. I float ice in the summer. Water transfers heat 25 times faster than air. Water temp the next morning is usually 34-38F.

JJ's running water method is even faster. A 10 lb butt should be thawed in 3-5 hours.

Reactions: jcam222
With large roasts, turkey, etc, I place the meat in a large stock pot, that will allow the meat to be covered in water. The whole deal goes in the Bathroom Tub, cover completely with cold water and set the cold water just to a Drizzle. The running water keeps the water moving to quickly defrost the meat. It's fast and no risk of the meat getting too warm...JJ
Ditto above. A pork butt is always done by the next morning. You can float some ice in the water as a visual reference for temp, but this time of year it isn't a problem unless you live someplace warm. I float ice in the summer. Water transfers heat 25 times faster than air. Water temp the next morning is usually 34-38F.

JJ's running water method is even faster. A 10 lb butt should be thawed in 3-5 hours.
This is great info. I have a lot of frozen meat I need to use up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky