deer suasage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shane58722

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
hey all im going to smoke some deer sausage and i want to smoke could i get some tips please i dont want it competely cooke want some flavor and coler then i will cook when ready to eat

hey all im going to smoke some deer sausage and i want to smoke could i get some tips please i dont want it competely cooke want some flavor and coler then i will cook when ready to eat

What recipe are you using..... will it have cure in it.... are you stuffing it in casings... Will it be fresh sausage...

dont want to use cure im really looking for the temp i should run my smoker at and the internal temp i should go to

dont want to use cure im really looking for the temp i should run my smoker at and the internal temp i should go to

If you are not using nitrite curing agent..... don't low temperature smoke it... smoke causes a reduced oxygen atmosphere and botulism can grow...

Without nitrite cure, smoke at 225 ish to an IT of 165 deg. F (for venison)..... DO NOT PARTIALLY COOK ..... complete the cooking process in 1 (one) step....

Last edited:
You can smoke it for as long as you want.... temp range 50 to 70 deg. F...... vac-pack and freeze for later use.... OR..... smoke at 120-130 ish for a few hours then vac-pac and freeze for later use....

If you have a grams scale, add about 1.1 grams per pound of meat.... or add 1 level tsp. of cure #1 per 5#'s of meat...

Nitrite is safe used accordingly.... beats getting botulism.... It also affords some protection for other pathogens and bacteria......

The meat does need to be stored at refer temps... 38-40 degrees while the cure is doing it's thing on the meat.... 12 - 24 hours is adequate for ground meats....

Dave

Live about 30 miles north of you Shane and we have a large selection of sausage and jerky seasonings avail that come with cure and directions/suggestions for preparing.
www.owensbbq.com/sausage-seasonings-jerky-mixes.html

Jerky
- Original
- Cracked Black Pepper & Garlic
- Honey BBQ
- Teriyaki
- Hickory
- Mesquite
- Sweet & Spicy
- Maple Jalapeno

Brats
- Mushroom
- Buffalo Wing
- Philly Cheese Steak
- Bacon Cheeseburger
- Sriracha
- Wisconsin Style
- Bacon Ranch

Fresh Sausage
- Pork
- Hot Pork
- Maple

Cooked/Smoked Sausage
- Ground & Formed Bacon
- Hot Dog
- Summer Sausage
- Garlic Summer Sausage
- Red Barn Bologna

Snack Stick
- Chipotle Wildfire
- Seven Pepper
- Honey BBQ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky