Dedicated Vessel for Curing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SGMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
P-Town Virginia
As I read more and more into this hobby, I have started to mentally (and in a spreadsheet) gather an inventory list of things that I will need to get up and running as efficiently as possible.

One of these things would be a 'curing vessel' (i.e. a fridge of sorts)

I know good and gosh darned well that our community fridge will not have adequate space, not to mention SWMBO would shut that down in a heartbeat. (Especially when it comes to bigger meat bills that require more time)

So, with that in mind Im trying to find the most viable solution that will accommodate everyone. Here are my thoughts...
-Because the smoker will be outside (screened in porch) the fridge will have to be as well.
-I already have an (empty) deep freezer out in this space.
-A full sized fridge would be ideal, but maybe not cost effective PLUS we currently rent so having a full sized monster might not transfer with us.

Should I just bite the bullet and find a used unit (full sized) from Craigslist or the sorts?
Should I look into getting a mini fridge? (Would this be large enough to house say a 5Gal bucket or some racks?

What are some of your solutions?
Thanks!

I use the briner buckets . I have the jr and the full size . Has a lock ring that keeps the meat sub-merged .
This is the jr.
20180119_103745.jpg
FYI , I have 3 full size refrigerators and a dorm fridge . One for the house , the rest for this stuff .

Reactions: SGMan
I would suggest getting a "cheaper" new Fridge, before buying an older used fridge.
Years ago, when Mrs Bear & I were pinching our pennies even more than we do now, we had a fridge that was a little noisy, but we kept it for many months longer, because we had other uses for our small savings after I got back from Vietnam. Then when we finally got a New Fridge, I noticed our electric bills went down a consistent $20 per month.
That noisy fridge was sucking an extra $20 each month. The money I lost from that fridge could have paid for a new one!

Bear

-I already have an (empty) deep freezer out in this space.

They make plug and play controllers for freezers that turn them in to refers ....
Freezer to Fridge controller

LOL I had one of these when I was brewing. I used it in my fermentation cabinet (aka fridge) that I wanted to control the temp in. Im half wondering if I should use that chest freezer as my outdoor fridge, although I was hoping to use it for storage of my newly acquired meats Id be smoking.
I *guess* I could get away with using our regular indoor freezer for my storage :D

Thanks for the idea refresh!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky