Decided to thow some on sale Baby Backs on.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AllenRR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Eagle, ID
We wife worries about my heart so low salt it is.. I found a couple of racks of baby backs on sale at 1.78 a pound. So, here's the rub I used.. Hot smoked paprika, Oregano, granulated garlic, Black pepper, and rosemary. Into the spice grinder it goes with about a half teaspoon full of pink sea salt. Mustard on the ribs etc.. throw the rub on and 30 minutes after the smoker hits 225 (so the water pan catches up) off we go. I will let you know how we do when we get there. Thanks for listening, Allen RR

Sorry, got distracted by some other stuff...
Cooked one rack, and they turned out great. Not as salty as usual (made points with wifey.) Very meaty flavor. If I get a chance later today, I'll do another rack this time with some ginger as mentioned above. I'm anxious to give that a try. It's just my wife and I, so I usually stick to 1 rack of ribs at a time or a really small brisket.

Reactions: joedube70
I admit.. I love the greek seasoning.. I figured that we had that for so long and it gets overlooked. My ancestors were from Scotland but I still love the way Greek
style seasonings make the meat taste like meat. I'm all for making the stuff that works ..work.

My son and his girlfriend asked me to do some ribs for them since they will be here for dinner today. Caught a special on baby backs again, so away we go. Tried something new this time. I still have some of those Lil' Devil pellets (out of business now..grr) So, I let the charcoal get white hot and put a cast iron smoke box with some of those on the coals. I used a propane torch to get the box super hot. The smoke was intense, but after about 15 minutes it was clear blue. I did one cook this way early this morning. I have those ribs in a thermal bag wrapped in a big towel to rest. Working on ribs for mom and I right now. I made a rub for those with dried garlic, dried onion, thyme, hot smoked paprika, some cumin, a little bit of pink sea salt. I had her smell it first to make sure I wasn't out of bounds on the salt..hehe She approved. Same process with the pellets in the smoke box. We'll see how it goes. On baby backs, I do an hour of smoke, and a couple of hours of texas crutch. Then I toss them on the gas grill to finish them up. I smoke at 250ish, gas grill at about 350.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomKnollRFV
My son and his girlfriend asked me to do some ribs for them since they will be here for dinner today. Caught a special on baby backs again, so away we go. Tried something new this time. I still have some of those Lil' Devil pellets (out of business now..grr) So, I let the charcoal get white hot and put a cast iron smoke box with some of those on the coals. I used a propane torch to get the box super hot. The smoke was intense, but after about 15 minutes it was clear blue. I did one cook this way early this morning. I have those ribs in a thermal bag wrapped in a big towel to rest. Working on ribs for mom and I right now. I made a rub for those with dried garlic, dried onion, thyme, hot smoked paprika, some cumin, a little bit of pink sea salt. I had her smell it first to make sure I wasn't out of bounds on the salt..hehe She approved. Same process with the pellets in the smoke box. We'll see how it goes. On baby backs, I do an hour of smoke, and a couple of hours of texas crutch. Then I toss them on the gas grill to finish them up. I smoke at 250ish, gas grill at about 350.
If you have to do a low salt diet, but want to still mess around a bit with Salt, try to find Alaea Salt. Salt from hawaii. Dried in clay volcanic tidal pool,so the mineral content is different, and it can be pretty vibrant red looking! Hope the kiddos approve of the ribs!

If I have questions for the more "seasoned" members where do I put those?
And for this; just start a thread in the appropriate forum! There is never a lack of knowledge around here! <If you ask a question about some thing no one has tried, chances are by asking you'll prompt some one to try it!>

Thanks for the tip Tom. I will look into it. Every little bit helps. Thanks bro.
They have a World Market over in Boise (close by) so, I'll be sure to check it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Tom. I will look into it. Every little bit helps. Thanks bro.
I got some of that salt when I decided to try and replicate Kalua pork in my smoker. I found it at World Market, not exactly cheap, but on the other hand if you can only use smaller amounts in your rubs on occasion, it would last a while. I personally don't enjoy alot of salt in food to begin with..but black pepper I sure do!

Just for the record, the ribs I did for the lovely wifey and they turned out really nice. She had very nice things to say about them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TomKnollRFV
I'm still working on getting ribs the way I like them my self. Don't cook them enough to get much to experiment; but I love putting pepper jam on them.

Reactions: AllenRR
I do beef ribs on occasion. The family dog Lily (Lab/Brittany cross) loves to gnaw on those. But most of the time it's pork ribs. She's good with those too.. lol

I got some of that salt when I decided to try and replicate Kalua pork in my smoker. I found it at World Market, not exactly cheap, but on the other hand if you can only use smaller amounts in your rubs on occasion, it would last a while. I personally don't enjoy alot of salt in food to begin with..but black pepper I sure do!
Kalua Pork..oh yeah.. I'm going to fix some of that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky