Decadent Buchan's Beef Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I picked up a couple packs of beef short ribs from Costco and dusted them with Cowtown back pepper rub. Into my magic garage fridge they went to age for 10 days. I'd normally say these meat chunks are too small to age but there was so much marbling on them I thought it was worth the risk.
IMG_3895.jpeg

I decided to grill them on the KUDU, low and slow, for about an hour using the magic dome for some great smoke. This was an after-sunset project.

IMG_3898.jpeg
Sorry, forgot to take a picture of the dome but you get the idea.

IMG_3901.jpeg
The color was beautiful. The next step was to put them in a covered foil tray. I kept the braising liquid simple. I diluted some Buchan's Japanese BBQ sauce with water and let it do it's thing for a couple of hours.

IMG_3903.jpeg
I've not cooked these before and I was pleasantly surprised by how much decadent collagen was in them. It was on par with beef cheeks. Because it ran late, I had to chill them overnight. I removed the drippings, put them in a container, and put them in the fridge. At dinner time last night I took the congealed tallow off and used the super thick drippings to reheat the ribs. I basted them a couple times in the now super-beefy Buchan's BBQ.

IMG_3914.jpeg

I've been dieting the past year so this was a very rich meal for me that about knocked me out but was totally worth the lethargic after effects. The ribs were so crazy good and the simplicity of the Buchan's for the braise is something I'll keep doing. I made some wild rice and some Asian veggie bird nests topped with the de-fatted drippings. I was raised in Minnesota on wild rice. It's a side dish that's overlooked. Cook it in chicken broth and it's amazing. This meal is a keeper.

Wow Sven! So glad you took the short rib step, they have become more favored than brisket at my house and I love making them. Your technique and results are killer! You have me itching to get one of those Kudus again and I have to restrain myself🤣 But I think that smoke followed by braise brings out the best with this cut, saving the braiding liquid as key. Big points, beautiful pics!

You have me itching to get one of those Kudus again and I have to restrain myself
I use it more than my Yoder. I never thought that would happen. It’s just so easy. Using your hand to set the temp actually works. That magic dome lid turns it into a mini smoker.

And, yes, given my failure with brisket the short ribs are going to be on the menu a lot more. The collagen won me over. Next time I’ll go Mex for street tacos.

Man oh man!! Those ribs are gorgeous!! What an amazing job you did on those. Very well done my friend. The only thing I see missing from those pics....is me :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks, Robert. I do have leftovers but I’ve not had dinner yet tonight. We’ll see how hungry I am after my night swim. Two nights in a row might put me in a meat coma.

Reactions: negolien
Mmmm, way after dinner but my mouth is watering again. Beef ribs/short ribs are on my to-do list. Great work!

Reactions: Sven Svensson
That looks delicious! And probably way better than your spit jumping chicken...yes, still chuckling about that lol! Really liked the night pics as well!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky