Debating on a pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My camp chef temp swings are insane. I'd be happy with 25 degrees but at a minimum mine swings at least 50-70 up and down and I've even seen it go over 100 in either direction also. Kind of sucks I may have to buy the PID controller just to tame it a little but it is what it is. Also I agree that the front shelf is a must but I ordered mine off QVC's website for $50 with free shipping.

if you look on Camp Chef's website the PID controller is not available for purchase, but it can be purchased over the phone through their customer service department. Though according to the woman i spoke with when getting mine i could take a few weeks to ship/deliver. Although she said that to me and it shipped the next day, delivered in 4 days. probably a little bit of undersell and over deliver. i believe they retail for around $250. Even if you don't order the PID. I would recommend you contact camp chef's customer service. Camp Chef really was great to work with. When i was having temp swings they were helpful with troubleshooting, and they will make it right whether they have to send a new temp probe or controller (both of which are extremely easy to change out even for someone who is not mechanically inclined(me)). at the least i would give them a call and talk to them about your issues. no reason to spend 8-900$ and not be happy.

Just thought i would mention they have also released a PID controller that is retrofit for the older woodwind series, DLX models, and i believe the SG models as well. I just installed on on my DLX24 w/sear box and cannot be happier. Right now you can pick up the woodwind with pid and sear box on sale.

I will second what someone posted earlier about camp chef's customer service it was great. Initially my grill also arrived with some damage (150lbs package shipped from UT to WI ground). Camp chef was quick to respond to my concerns and after a little bit of trouble shooting they more than made up for my inconvenience. They sent some stuff for my trouble and now everything is working great! the PID controller is very steady 5-10 degree swings on temps vs 25 or more with non PID controller. and i have verified the temps with a MEATER+ as well as another probe laying on grate level. We like ours so much we purchased one for my mother for Christmas! i drove up early and set it up for them and they are loving it too. Easy to use. accurate temps. and exceptional customer service.

a quick note on the sear box. This add on can turn your pellet grill into the all in one option for many people. The sear box will get HOT and fast. I have used it to finish sous vide steaks, quick grilled chicken, hot dogs, burgers etc. its great for quick cooks where you dont want to wait for reverse sear or something when cooking quick options for kids. I have pictures using my laser themometer where the sear box will get over 900 degrees. comes with cast iron grates has worked flawlessly from day 1. the only thing i would mention about this is if you end up getting the sear box, order the front shelf becasue you will lose the shelf space on the right side of the grill after removing the shelf to install the sear box. the front shelf while costly at 75$ will save you head aches when carrying a platter out with meat on it and while taking things on and off the grill.

just my .02
Where did you order just the PID controller for the older models? I cant find it on their site.
if you look on Camp Chef's website the PID controller is not available for purchase, but it can be purchased over the phone through their customer service department. Though according to the woman i spoke with when getting mine i could take a few weeks to ship/deliver. Although she said that to me and it shipped the next day, delivered in 4 days. probably a little bit of undersell and over deliver. i believe they retail for around $250. Even if you don't order the PID. I would recommend you contact camp chef's customer service. Camp Chef really was great to work with. When i was having temp swings they were helpful with troubleshooting, and they will make it right whether they have to send a new temp probe or controller (both of which are extremely easy to change out even for someone who is not mechanically inclined(me)). at the least i would give them a call and talk to them about your issues. no reason to spend 8-900$ and not be happy.
Yeah I know their customer service is good because my unit arrived damaged and they were really good to work with. As for the temp swing, I'm not, not happy with it. It still does a great job and as far as I can tell hasn't ruined anything but is a little cause for concern sometimes. I'll probably just ride it out the way it is until I decide to buy the PID controller for it. No need in changing out other stuff if i plan on just getting the PID in the future anyways.

F Fishonshawn If you are looking to purchase the PID retrofit controller you need to contact camp chef customer service by phone. This is the same controller that comes on the new woodwind wifi modes but with a bracket to fill in the footprint from the larger analog controller. I attached the email confirmation of the order i received though some of my info is blacked out. it includes the part number: PG24CL-7R. If i were you I would try to see if they would give you a discount on the new PID explain you are upgrading because of the wild temp swings you are having. They may be more apt to give you discount code or something. you could also use the code KP3E3G which is valid for 10% off an order from campchef. (they sent me that offer with this confirmation email). The PID controller also comes with 4 meat probes.

Attachments

• 9A0EDDE9-7860-4942-94B7-34FED6944A77.jpeg
    9A0EDDE9-7860-4942-94B7-34FED6944A77.jpeg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
My camp chef temp swings are insane. I'd be happy with 25 degrees but at a minimum mine swings at least 50-70 up and down and I've even seen it go over 100 in either direction also. Kind of sucks I may have to buy the PID controller just to tame it a little but it is what it is. Also I agree that the front shelf is a must but I ordered mine off QVC's website for $50 with free shipping.

You could definitely benefit from a PID controller with temperature swings like that.

Where did you order just the PID controller for the older models? I cant find it on their site.

Yeah I know their customer service is good because my unit arrived damaged and they were really good to work with. As for the temp swing, I'm not, not happy with it. It still does a great job and as far as I can tell hasn't ruined anything but is a little cause for concern sometimes. I'll probably just ride it out the way it is until I decide to buy the PID controller for it. No need in changing out other stuff if i plan on just getting the PID in the future anyways.

FWIW if you do contact them in regards to the temp swings and they do send anything as far as replacement parts the controller took literally 5 mins to install including taking the old controller out. it requires removing 6 screws and 4 connectors, but is very easy. might be worth investigating before dropping $250+ on a PID.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky