Daylight savings....keep it or can it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Split the difference and lock it in, never liked the metric system for anything, not sure why we became followers . USA all the way

please understand there are alot of people out there that have their whole identity wrapped up in complaining. If you take away spring forward its like taking away Christmas for complainers, like my wife. Now I dont care, but our corrupt goverment should be looking at eliminating April 15th and the IRS, something that would cause great celebration. I will keep the meaningless time change if we would eliminate the IRS mafia!

My dogs love spring ahead! Feeding time comes an hour earlier! But don't like fall back... so we work it out gradually. And yes, they can tell time without a watch or clock! If I'm not mistaken it was FDR that said to speak quietly and carry a big stick...

20230307_135218.jpg

Not sure she speaks quietly but she found a big stick! She will be 1 in April.

Ryan

Interesting how a state can opt out of DST and stay on standard time (like AZ and a few others), but federal law prohibits staying on DST year round as I understand it. I say just pick one or the other and leave the damn clocks alone. If businesses rely on daylight to function (I was an arborist, so yeah, we needed daylight to work safely), surely it is within their means to adjust working hours according to sunrise at any given time of year.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
On Dec. 21, the winter solstice, in Maryland, the sun rose at 7:24 a.m. standard time. If we switch to permanent daylight saving time, that would become 8:24 a.m., after most schoolchildren are already in class, forcing them to walk to the bus stop or to school in the dark. This might be a good idea for members of Congress who start work much later in the day, but it’s not for schoolchildren and commuters driving in the dark.

Conversely, remaining on standard time all year presents another set of problems. On June 21, the summer solstice, the sun rose in Maryland at 5:44 a.m. If we remain on standard time, the sun would rise at 4:44 a.m. That might be good for early-morning newscasters, but I don’t do my best work at 4:44 a.m.

Hey, Congress: It ain’t broke. Don’t “fix” it!

Adapted from Washington Post letter to the editor, print edition, March 14, 2023

Well, I'm no master mind but look at this post and you can see no matter what is decided not everybody is going to be happy. So, we are back to square on. Me I don't care I'll be 80 in June.

Warren

You are right Warren. It's clear that there are too many differing points of view on this issue to ever make everyone happy. I guess there's no perfect solution. I don't want kids to have to walk to the bus stop in the dark...but I sure like having more daylight at the end of the day.

Red

On Dec. 21, the winter solstice, in Maryland, the sun rose at 7:24 a.m. standard time. If we switch to permanent daylight saving time, that would become 8:24 a.m., after most schoolchildren are already in class, forcing them to walk to the bus stop or to school in the dark. This might be a good idea for members of Congress who start work much later in the day, but it’s not for schoolchildren and commuters driving in the dark.

Conversely, remaining on standard time all year presents another set of problems. On June 21, the summer solstice, the sun rose in Maryland at 5:44 a.m. If we remain on standard time, the sun would rise at 4:44 a.m. That might be good for early-morning newscasters, but I don’t do my best work at 4:44 a.m.

Hey, Congress: It ain’t broke. Don’t “fix” it!

Adapted from Washington Post letter to the editor, print edition, March 14, 2023
Precisely! Makes a bigger difference in northern latitudes.

Kinda feel bad for the kids by me... school bus goes by about 7:10 each morning. Our kids when they were small got off the bus about 4:20 each afternoon... 2 hours a day on the bus. Guess it's still better than having to walk uphill both ways to go to school! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Kinda feel bad for the kids by me... school bus goes by about 7:10 each morning. Our kids when they were small got off the bus about 4:20 each afternoon... 2 hours a day on the bus. Guess it's still better than having to walk uphill both ways to go to school! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Our friends kids lived on the outskirts of the district.(rural school) Kids were dressed and on the bus @ 0615. Our school starts around 0800. Not sure what time they got home because most had sports after school, but that had to suck riding a bus half of your day! You cant really sleep, you cant really do your homework and you cant really study.

My dogs love spring ahead! Feeding time comes an hour earlier! But don't like fall back... so we work it out gradually. And yes, they can tell time without a watch or clock! If I'm not mistaken it was FDR that said to speak quietly and carry a big stick...

View attachment 659916

Not sure she speaks quietly but she found a big stick! She will be 1 in April.

Ryan
You had me at dogs!

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Well, its that other time of year again! Once we "spring forward" I wouldnt mind it at all if we never "fall back"!

Doesn't "fall back" mean back to normal time before daylight savings??
In any case, I'd like it to stay "back" year round, the daylight is much more "centered" on normal waking hours year round than when pushed forward an hour. But that's just me, I hate daylight till 9:30 at night.
However, that would mean sun rise about 4:37am in the summer

At it's lowest, daylight is 9:27 long (sun rise to set)
At it's longest it's 14:51 (midwest of course)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky