Daylight savings....keep it or can it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeyedude

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 5, 2018
Well, its that other time of year again! Once we "spring forward" I wouldnt mind it at all if we never "fall back"!
The fall really gets to me anymore! I end up waking up at 3am instead of 4 for a couple months which takes away from that quality hard core sleep part of the night! On top of that, if you are a hunter, it makes it so you have to get up an hour earlier than you did the weekends before the change. (which also sucks lol)

Agreed! I'd like it if we picked a clock setting and stuck with it! Seems silly to me to continue this spring-forward/fall-back routine. Like you, I prefer DST...mostly because I prefer the extra daylight at the end of the day. It bugs me when it gets dark by 5 o'clock. But either way, just pick one and let's stick with it!

Red

I would of started a poll, but didnt see where to add that.

I pulled all the batteries out of my clocks and set them to 5:00 .

1678553674087.jpeg

Just leave it alone. Farmers need it more than the city folk don't.
I disagree. I dont see how it would help a farmer at all. Heck, Ive never met a farmer that even wears a watch lol! Im pretty sure that dairy cow is ready to milk the same time no matter what time the clock reads! Same for feeding beef cattle. They get use to being fed at the same time and if you are late you can usually hear them complaining about it lol!
If I remember correctly, the original reason for the time change was to save on energy consumption, but that was over 100 years ago and Im sure it probably did help the more populated areas at the time, but now with our current "wastefullness" of energy I guarantee that it doesnt help at all!
Im sure some depression due to lack of lighr has something to do with too. Which doesnt make sense to me if you fall back an hour, leave for work when its dark and leave for home after work when its dark. That time change really did not help any! At least if it were left alone, everyone would get some sunlight!
Just my thoughts on the matter!

The argument I've heard for changing back in the winter, is elementary school kids having to go to the bus stop in the dark. I could not tell ya , one way or the other, if that's a legitimate reason. It probably would vary from household to household.

I am not a fan and I wish they would pick one and leave it. If I ruled the world, I would reset the clocks by 1/2 an hour, thereby getting a little more light part of the year and offsetting a little dark at other times, then just leave it. Wife says I am full of .................................. all sorts of crazy ideas.

The argument I've heard for changing back in the winter, is elementary school kids having to go to the bus stop in the dark. I could not tell ya , one way or the other, if that's a legitimate reason. It probably would vary from household to household.
I have also heard that, and I dont really disagree with the idea but at the same time in a matter of a couple weeks after the change, the daylight hours have shortened enough that it is dark anyway!
And yes, Im sure it varies from household to household, state to state etc!

Ditch it.. And throw AM and PM in the fire as well. The sun is gonna come up earlier and set later in the summer and vice versa. Let's move to a 24 hour clock and just change the time we go to work if needed. For us folks that work in 24 hour 365 industries, it really doesn't matter, except one day you work less and one day you work longer.
48 years in AZ and I never needed it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky