Dang, Ny'ers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi Bob! I'm Lance and I'm an addict....

Seriously though, welcome from Sennett in Cayuga County, Bob.

JeepsJeep, Nancy grew up in Elam about 45 minutes north of you and I grew up in Amherst.

Sweener, I've tried sugar once or twice in rubs but we just don't like it and don't see a need for it.  I think some folks use it for bark formation but all it seemed to do for us was make the bark sticky.

I'm using the Montreal steak seasoning on two big venison roasts today that we're bringing to the SUNY college of Environmental Science and Forestry for the "Beast Feast" and annual wild game and fish dinner hosted by the Wildlife Society students.

The pics are of a 5# 12 oz and a 6# 9 oz round roasts.  The first pic is after salting yesterday morning and before resting until 5:30 this AM.  These came for a big deer I arrowed late in the season and from which I made several big roasts for use during the year.  The 8" boning knife is in all the pics for scale.  The low angle of the newly risen sun makes them look kind of cooked already.

And after browning and now with a liberal coating of Nancy's Montreal steak seasoning.....

And now out of the 220 degree oven with an internal temperature of 130 around three and a half hours later.  They are off to the basement fridge to cool so they can be thin sliced.

I'll add another pic when they get sliced....

Lance

Reactions: c45br
Here you go, Sweener.  The smell of BBQ with this rub have the neighbors inviting themselves over for dinner if you aren't careful so be sure to lock the front gate and let the pit bull out!

I  blend the sausage seasonings and my wife generally does the rubs so this is her modification of Emeril Lagasses's "Emeril's Rustic Rub".  The big change is that she uses a lot less salt than the original recipe....

8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) paprika
3 tablespoons cayenne pepper (use less of a less spicy rub)
5 tablespoons coarse black pepper
6 tablespoons garlic powder or granules
3 tablespoons onion powder or ganules
6 tablespoons salt
2-1/2 tablespoons dried oregeno
2-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

And as a bonus, her version of Montreal steak seasoning (again mostly a lot less salt):

1 tablespoon garlic powder or granules
1 tablespoon crushed dried coriander
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried dill weed
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoon coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder or granules

Enjoy!

Lance

Have you, or anyone else, ever used vinegar powder before?
I was wondering how it would be in a dry rub...and how much I might want to use.

Have you, or anyone else, ever used vinegar powder before?
I was wondering how it would be in a dry rub...and how much I might want to use.
No, I haven't  tried that.  Is there a particular flavor profile you are trying for or is this a matter of simple curiosity?  As far as amounts, I wold start with very little as you can always add vinegar later in a sauce or glaze but you can't take it out later if you use too much in a rub......

Lance

Hey fellow New Yorker here.  I am in Ulster County. I am new to the forum & just got my first pellet smoker.(Grilla Grills Silverbac) Never smoked before as I always just grilled on a gas grill. Well I done my first Brisket & Baby Backs and they came out pretty dam good but I am sure there is a lot I can learn from all you guys & gals. I am looking forward to learning and hopefully meeting some of my fellow N.Yrs and recipes. 

Thanks Vinny. I always had the mentality go big or go home..lol.. That's why I started with a brisket. i watched a lot of videos and read a lot on how to do things but it seems there are a lot of different methods out there. I guess it is all about what works for you and your smoker. 

That is impressive to start with the brisket. Took me 2 years before I manned up on my first one.

Welcome from Oswego county.

Thanks for welcome guys, LanceR, I might have to stop by your place for some good BBQ tips & food this fall on my way to the Bills games (GO BILLS!!!). Thanks Sweenner, You have to meet us there as you are a little off the beaten path. Eat well my friends. 

Thanks for welcome guys, LanceR, I might have to stop by your place for some good BBQ tips & food this fall on my way to the Bills games (GO BILLS!!!). Thanks Sweenner, You have to meet us there as you are a little off the beaten path. Eat well my friends. 
Good luck with that stopping by in the fall thing.  We are in the process of selling our farm and moving to our place in North Carolina.  We'll be there full time by late summer.

My wife grew up a few miles for Rich Stadium and I grew up a bit further away.  Didn't you know that if you're headed to a Bills game that beef on a weck roll or wings are in order?

Lance

We are in the process of selling our farm and moving to our place in North Carolina.  We'll be there full time by late summer.

I didn't know you were moving Lance, It'd still be nice to hook up but looks like a crazy summer for me here. Where abouts in NC are you headed to?

Dan, we'll be in Pinnacle in Stokes County.  It's about a half hour north of Winston-Salem and we're across the road from the west face of Sauratown Mountain.

We have to have one more corned venison, venison pastrami, burger and sausage making binge to clear out the more than 100 pounds of venison in the freezers before the move.  Our kids know that getting good sausage and meats will be tougher for them after we leave the farm.  At one time or another one or more of them has helped with every part of preparing, making and curing various meats and sausages but now we've gotten requests for lessons and specific recipes before the move.  We never had so many volunteers before......
pot.gif

I'll keep in touch.  I still want to try a few batches of venison liverwurst and Braunschweiger before the move.

Lance

Last edited:
Good luck with the move Lance & safe travels. My brother in law is down in N.C. As far as the Bills I am up there a lot during football season. Season tickets for a while now. It's a five hour ride each way but worth it every time. Every Saturday night while up there we go the Anchor for our wings. The beef on weck is ok, to many seeds for me. 

I've never seen a navel in a butcher case, but maybe you could ask them to order you one.
I'll use brisket when doing it from scratch, or when I'm cheap and lazy I'll use a corned beef when they're on sale around St. Patty's day,

Welcome to the forums

I wanted to bring this to you guys because I am torn right now. I have been using the cold smoke box with my MES 40 for about a year now, with good results. No complaints.

But I have the chance to grab an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker cheap (local Gander Mountain is closing).

Guess I was just curious if anyone has an MES and uses one...what are your thoughts? I have never used anything BUT wood chips, so the whole pellet thing is a new avenue for me.

I wanted to bring this to you guys because I am torn right now. I have been using the cold smoke box with my MES 40 for about a year now, with good results. No complaints.

But I have the chance to grab an A-MAZE-N pellet smoker cheap (local Gander Mountain is closing).

Guess I was just curious if anyone has an MES and uses one...what are your thoughts? I have never used anything BUT wood chips, so the whole pellet thing is a new avenue for me.
I am very new to smoking but I do have an MES and an AMZNPS. I have used the AMZNPS three times (once to cure the smoker and twice to cook) and have had no issues with it. I do not think I will ever use chips in it as the pellet smoker is so easy to use for me. Just follow the directions included and make sure you get a good fire starter. I use the propane starter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky