Dang, Ny'ers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello Johnny and welcome to the site from the Finger Lakes region.  I was born in Queens a long time ago but can't help with NYC area supplies as I now get my wood from the woodpile we heat the house with.....

Lance

Hi Johnny, welcome! I'm in the lower Hudson Valley area and we do not really have a supply store here. You say you are looking maybe for some wood chips etc. One suggestion I can make in regards to wood is maybe check with some custom cabinet/woodworking shops in Brooklyn. I actually work full time for a custom cabinet shop and I get the majority of my wood for smoking from our scraps. Typically I take pieces of solid cherry, maple, white oak & alder. The nice things are the pieces are bark free, bug free and dry. I also control the wood size by how I cut the scraps. I know you said wood "chips", and these would be more like chunks, but I just wanted to mention this possibly free option. There are a lot of wood shops in your area - I'm sure they have some scraps you could take. One thing to note however: be careful of exotic woods, they can make you sick when burned if you inhale the smoke.

Banshee

Thanks for the info, I do have a buddy who works at a furniture shop in DUMBO and he says they have lots of white oak. 

afternoon everyone.

just stumbled onto this group. Been smoking for a couple of years now from the CNY area (Pulaski to be exact). Currently have an MES 40, and looking forward to sharing/learning tips, techniques, recipes from everyone! 

afternoon everyone.

just stumbled onto this group. Been smoking for a couple of years now from the CNY area (Pulaski to be exact). Currently have an MES 40, and looking forward to sharing/learning tips, techniques, recipes from everyone! 
Hello Sweenner from Sennett (near Auburn....).

Lance

Hey Sweenner, A little south of ya in Cicero, Welcome to the forums.

Hell I didn't know we had a NY group. I think we should merge with the Pa group and hit C farmers get-to -gether

Last edited:
I am here in the group now, I heard a tweety bird say my name.

I'm in....

Dan, I thinking of making venison liverwurst and Braunschweiger sometime soon. Let me know if you are interested in trying to get together for that.

Lance

I wanted to reach out to pick some brains. I am looking for a different dry rub to use on spare ribs. I have one that I use on ribs and butt...was just looking to change things up a bit. Was hoping there might be a couple tried and trues or personal favorites that you might be willing to share.

Last edited:
Here you go, Sweener.  The smell of BBQ with this rub have the neighbors inviting themselves over for dinner if you aren't careful so be sure to lock the front gate and let the pit bull out!

I  blend the sausage seasonings and my wife generally does the rubs so this is her modification of Emeril Lagasses's "Emeril's Rustic Rub".  The big change is that she uses a lot less salt than the original recipe....

8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) paprika

3 tablespoons cayenne pepper (use less of a less spicy rub)

5 tablespoons coarse black pepper

6 tablespoons garlic powder or granules

3 tablespoons onion powder or ganules

6 tablespoons salt

2-1/2 tablespoons dried oregeno

2-1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

And as a bonus, her version of Montreal steak seasoning (again mostly a lot less salt):

1 tablespoon garlic powder or granules

1 tablespoon crushed dried coriander

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon dried dill weed

2 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes

2 tablespoon coarse black pepper

1 tablespoon onion powder or granules

Enjoy!

Lance

Thanks for the recipes Lance. Love the fact neither have sugar, thats a plus for me.

Thanks for the recipes Lance. Love the fact neither have sugar, thats a plus for me.
No problem, Dan.  I hope that you enjoy them. 

Nancy and I are both fans of dry rubs with no sauces or glazes other than on pulled pork.  On that we use Emeril's rub and finish it in a covered roaster so we can save the juices.  We de-fat them and mix the juices back in for a moister product and use just a touch of a mustard based sauce so that the pork flavor is still at center stage.  We serve more sauce on the side but few folks reach for it.  For things like ribs we don't even put sauce out anymore as no one uses it.

That rub of Emeril's really benefits from being rubbed on at least 3-4 hours before smoking and it can be rubbed on a day or two ahead.  The little bit of moisture picked up from the meat really perks the spices up.  It can clump up in the container but breaks up with a good shake.  We also sometimes use it in place of pepper on everything from eggs to veggies.  There's a shaker of it next to the cook top.

The steak seasoning seems to be best (for us at least) on redder meats like beef, venison etc .  Again, a bit of a head start on meat helps with the flavor and it seems a half hour if just fine.

Lance

Thanks for the rubs Lance. My wife is a big fan of the Montreal when I grill steaks, so I'm sure that will be tried soon.

I haven't ever tried a rub without sugar in it, looking forward to it. Will keep you posted how they turn out (once I get to doing them that is).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky