1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cutting a 300 gallon propane tank!!

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by Buzzsaw1998, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Buzzsaw1998

Buzzsaw1998 Newbie

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and am seeking some advice.. I have a 300 gallon propane tank that has set with all the valves off for over a year.. its accumulated some rain water and there's still a faint smell of the chemical used to detect leaks.. A friend of mine (not the sharpest knife in the drawer) lit a lighter over one of the vents and nothing happened.. I plan to cut the doors out this weekend just needing a little advice and piece of mind from someone more experienced.
    Thank you I look forward to learning from all of you!!

2. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I would fill with water,propane is heavier than air and will lay in the bottom,water will push it out,

piker likes this.
  3. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

You can purge with an inert gas like argon or nitrogen if available.

4. kruizer

kruizer Smoking Fanatic

Most guys I know would fill the tank with water and soap. Soap first and then water to mix things up. Then drain and cut.

5. +1 on soapy water... take a whole thing of dish soap and dunp into it and then put a hose in it and wait til it starts overflowing... but always proceed with caution when working with propane... example like holding a lighter over an opening palm---> face

Buzzsaw1998 and JC in GB like this.
  6. indaswamp and JC in GB like this.
  7. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great post buffalobbqpete...

8. Buzzsaw1998

Buzzsaw1998 Newbie

9. If I remember right, it was a few days. I haven't watched it in a while. But I don't think 3-5 days would be a bad idea. Someone else who has actually done it may have a different opinion though.

10. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

24 hours is plenty long enough...

11. forktender

forktender Smoking Fanatic

Heck, 5 minutes is long enough, all you're doing with the H2o is forcing the propane out of the tank.