Cutoff Lip of Drum for Better Seal???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NahsteeDawg

Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
Hello All,

I have begun my second UDS build and during burnout I warped my lid...again. I was thinking I would cut the lip at the top off the drum off, add gasket material around the lid and keep a tight seal that way. The lid isn't twisted severely or anything like that, but if I pound one side down, the other side rises to where there is just enough gap for smoke to leak out. I tested leakage and its minimal. Before I do this I was wondering if anyone would have any input...I want to make my UDS right this time around and it seems I already started off bad. TIA!

What I did with mine was left the drum rim alone (drum with lid... not a cut off lid)
. I used a pair of pliers to bend out the webber lid lip out so it would over lap the drum rim. Then I turned the webber lid upside down, used heat resistant silicone gasket in a tube, put a good bead down all the way around. Then got plastic food wrap, and put that on the gasket material while it was still wet. Then set the webber lid on my drum and just barely pushed down to let it seat. Left it alone over night. Make sure you mark a little line on from lid to drum so that you know to line up the lid to those lines. Next day, remove the plastic wrap, is won't stick to the gasket material and then leave the lid upside down for another 12 or so hours to completely cure.
Mine was absolutely sealed when done and lid put on drum

Reactions: Razyr Sharpe
Thank You Danbury, I will definitely try this method. I really didnt want to cut the lip off.

I would just try and straighten the lid some.
They have rings so that you can attach the lid to the barrel.

I second the vote for the lid rings. That will deal it right up. Mine went from being not very good to Rock solid once I started using the locking ring..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky