Cut the cord, anyone else ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Been cut for 10 years or more i think, have Comcast cable and stream what we want, have antenna for local, wife has to have it to work from home

I'd been using ROKU boxes for 7-8 yrs then switched to Apple TV 4K last year. Sharing Disney+ (Disney, AMC, Hulu, Nat Geo, and ESPN) with a family member and have Paramount+ thru my Walmart+ sub. The Apple box also has 2 local news streams. I'm in a dead spot for OTA otherwise I'd have an outside antenna.

Been using nothing but an antenna and cheap DVR for more than 10yrs. We get 94 channels with the antenna.I have a Vizio smart TV with tons of apps but we really only use Tubi and my antenna is now integrated into Vizio Watchfree+ so we get a full guide. We are lucky to not have to pay for Internet so we truly watch TV for nothing.

Same! We called direct tv last year to get our bill lowered. They did, but slowly tacked it back on. Ended up doing a firestick and just getting whatever options we wanted to.

Finally did after about 30 years with Dish. Worked for them in the early days of the company at their uplink center in Cheyenne, WY.
Got tired of their disputes with providers and leaving customers without channels. DirecTV is same.
Taking channels away, raising prices, just had enough.

So I bought a TabloTV 4 tuner DVR with 1TB storage for OTA broadcasts.
All my TV's are TCL with ROKU built in.
ROKU can add the Tablo app.
Primarily record the 4 major networks with it.
93 local channels, but most we don't watch.
Got Sling as well (ROKU has their app as well).
We can record (Cloud storage) all the other channels we used to watch on Dish.

We went from $172/mo for Dish
to
$4.99/mo for the Tablo 14-day guide plus some other benefits.
$45/mo for Sling Basic
$5/mo for MGM+
$5/mo for 200 hrs upgrade for cloud storage.
Total of $60/mo

I've had Paramount+ for sometime, so didn't count that in the numbers since I had it before and after cutting the cord.

Saved $112/mo.

There is no doubt it is not as convenient as Dish in some ways, but more convenient in others.
We can watch a lot of old series we liked that Dish doesn't have.
Bought an exterior HDTV antenna with a 75 mile radious in 2017 for $150.00. Haven't paid a nickle for any tv since. Haven't missed the price of dish service either.

Reactions: 02ebz06 and zwiller
Same! We called direct tv last year to get our bill lowered. They did, but slowly tacked it back on. Ended up doing a firestick and just getting whatever options we wanted to.
We were about the same. Canceled Direct and Verizon phone, went to T Mobile for phone and internet. No, it's not the fastest or best service in our area and would not work well for online gaming, but it streams TV ok. Their price lock guarantee and 55+ plan means they'll never go up on the price and there's an old folks discount.

For streaming TV, we share YouTube TV with a family member...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky