Cut a whole brisket in half?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrtrung90

Original poster
Sep 16, 2020
My local Sam's Club has whole prime brisket on sale at a fairly decent price, $3.58lb. I was thinking of getting one and cutting the flat from the point, freeze one for a later smoke. There's not a big enough crowd to warrant smoking a whole brisket till Xmas, and then I'll be smoking a rib roast. Is cutting the brisket in half acceptable practice? RAY

Yes it is. Many cooks do it. I like the flat better than the point so I usually use them differently. They are fairly easy to separate. That fat lines will help guide you.

JC :emoji_cat:

My local Sam's Club has whole prime brisket on sale at a fairly decent price, $3.58lb. I was thinking of getting one and cutting the flat from the point, freeze one for a later smoke. There's not a big enough crowd to warrant smoking a whole brisket till Xmas, and then I'll be smoking a rib roast. Is cutting the brisket in half acceptable practice? RAY

Hi there and welcome!

I'm with sandyut sandyut on this one. I prefer to the smoke the whole thing THEN also slice and vacuum seal then. Brisket seals and reheats amazingly.

If you really want to cut the approach I would take would be to do a very aggressive approach to how I trim my whole packers for cooking. I use the following image to explain how I recommend trimming away the thin portion of the flat. Do the same but move the green line way more aggressively towards the point muscle:
full.png

I say this because the flat muscle is the problem child and cooking together with the point helps keep the flat from drying out and makes for a better product.
The left over flat you can smoke or cook any way you like and you should have a pretty good amount (almost half the brisket).
In all you get a large chunk of just flat BUT you also get some flat point combo which is like the best of both your worlds :)

Here's my post on how I a trim a brisket where I pulled that pic from :)

Hi there and welcome!

I'm with sandyut sandyut on this one. I prefer to the smoke the whole thing THEN also slice and vacuum seal then. Brisket seals and reheats amazingly.

If you really want to cut the approach I would take would be to do a very aggressive approach to how I trim my whole packers for cooking. I use the following image to explain how I recommend trimming away the thin portion of the flat. Do the same but move the green line way more aggressively towards the point muscle:
View attachment 463394

I say this because the flat muscle is the problem child and cooking together with the point helps keep the flat from drying out and makes for a better product.
The left over flat you can smoke or cook any way you like and you should have a pretty good amount (almost half the brisket).
In all you get a large chunk of just flat BUT you also get some flat point combo which is like the best of both your worlds :)

Here's my post on how I a trim a brisket where I pulled that pic from :)

Good trim advice right here....

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: tallbm
All great advice. One other thing to think about. Take that trim and point and grind into burgers.

Absolutely. Brisket burgers are the best, and so much better than a slice of dried out flat.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
I have cut briskets up and vacuum pack for later. On my flats to keep moist I inject with no complaint from the wolverine (my picky bride). I also wrap to finish off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky