• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cut a whole brisket in half?

mrtrung90

Joined Sep 16, 2020
My local Sam's Club has whole prime brisket on sale at a fairly decent price, $3.58lb. I was thinking of getting one and cutting the flat from the point, freeze one for a later smoke. There's not a big enough crowd to warrant smoking a whole brisket till Xmas, and then I'll be smoking a rib roast. Is cutting the brisket in half acceptable practice? RAY

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Yes it is. Many cooks do it. I like the flat better than the point so I usually use them differently. They are fairly easy to separate. That fat lines will help guide you.

JC :emoji_cat:

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
I would cook the whole thing and save the finished product in a vacuum bag in the freezer for later. its dreamy to pull out ready to go brisket on demand. plus i think a FP is easier than a flat.

tallbm

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
My local Sam's Club has whole prime brisket on sale at a fairly decent price, $3.58lb. I was thinking of getting one and cutting the flat from the point, freeze one for a later smoke. There's not a big enough crowd to warrant smoking a whole brisket till Xmas, and then I'll be smoking a rib roast. Is cutting the brisket in half acceptable practice? RAY
Hi there and welcome!

I'm with sandyut sandyut on this one. I prefer to the smoke the whole thing THEN also slice and vacuum seal then. Brisket seals and reheats amazingly.

If you really want to cut the approach I would take would be to do a very aggressive approach to how I trim my whole packers for cooking. I use the following image to explain how I recommend trimming away the thin portion of the flat. Do the same but move the green line way more aggressively towards the point muscle:
full.png

I say this because the flat muscle is the problem child and cooking together with the point helps keep the flat from drying out and makes for a better product.
The left over flat you can smoke or cook any way you like and you should have a pretty good amount (almost half the brisket).
In all you get a large chunk of just flat BUT you also get some flat point combo which is like the best of both your worlds :)

Here's my post on how I a trim a brisket where I pulled that pic from :)

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
Hi there and welcome!

I'm with sandyut sandyut on this one. I prefer to the smoke the whole thing THEN also slice and vacuum seal then. Brisket seals and reheats amazingly.

If you really want to cut the approach I would take would be to do a very aggressive approach to how I trim my whole packers for cooking. I use the following image to explain how I recommend trimming away the thin portion of the flat. Do the same but move the green line way more aggressively towards the point muscle:
View attachment 463394

I say this because the flat muscle is the problem child and cooking together with the point helps keep the flat from drying out and makes for a better product.
The left over flat you can smoke or cook any way you like and you should have a pretty good amount (almost half the brisket).
In all you get a large chunk of just flat BUT you also get some flat point combo which is like the best of both your worlds :)

Here's my post on how I a trim a brisket where I pulled that pic from :)
Good trim advice right here....

JC :emoji_cat:

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
All great advice. One other thing to think about. Take that trim and point and grind into burgers.
Absolutely. Brisket burgers are the best, and so much better than a slice of dried out flat.

Last edited:

DPB

SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 7, 2018
I have cut briskets up and vacuum pack for later. On my flats to keep moist I inject with no complaint from the wolverine (my picky bride). I also wrap to finish off.

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
I always separate the point from the flat. In a MES 30 that's the only way a packer will fit. I put the point above the flat so the drippings keep the flat from drying out.
The flat gets sliced and the point gets turned into burnt ends.
Gary

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.