Curing messed up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gnopiazza

Original poster
Jan 7, 2022
1st time trying and I may have read too many recipes. I have a 12lb brisket. Made the brine with a little over a gallon of water and used like 8 teaspoons of pink curing salt. Realized about 3 hours later, meat already soaking, that it may be too much. Emptied it and started over using 2 1/2 teaspoons of the curing salt and rinsed the brisket before putting it back in its new brine. Anyone have thoughts on of I already screwed it up so bad I should throw everything away?

You'll be fine...but you need 4 tsp. of cure. 12# brisket + 8.345# of water in 1 gallon = 20.345#
You need to add enough cure to treat 20.345#....this is an equalization cure so some of it will stay in the water, the rest will travel into the meat until the concentrations are equal.

Reactions: gnopiazza
You'll be fine...but you need 4 tsp. of cure. 12# brisket + 8.345# of water in 1 gallon = 20.345#
You need to add enough cure to treat 20.345#....this is an equalization cure so some of it will stay in the water, the rest will travel into the meat until the concentrations are equal.
Thanks for the feedback!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky