Curing meats and "sell by" dates.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I`m with Al.....All of the beef that I buy is on a reduced sell by date you can save a bunch !!! Walmart marks theirs down around 5am on Thursdays around here...

Regarding the "common sense" replies Common sense did tell me that it would be safe, I was just wanting the opinions of some seasoned curers. 
I’ll explain why I believe in using common sense. Sixty years ago when I started smoking foods and forty years ago when I started curing foods, there was no such thing as use or sell by dates. You used common sense when purchasing any product. Guess the idea of using common sense carried over from the past. Perhaps after another forty years of curing, you may consider me being seasoned, until then I’ll just stay sauced. LOL

Good luck on your project and hoping it turns out well for you.

T

After a looooong and full life, one thing I've noticed is the the problem with common sense is it isn't too common any more.

After a looooong and full life, one thing I've noticed is the the problem with common sense is it isn't too common any more.
Amen Brother...Too many kids can't do anything or make a decision without looking up the answer or posting for discussion on their social

media pages! I have told me kids...PUT THE DAMN PHONE DOWN AND USE YOUR HEAD!...JJ

BTW...Ask a Kid in a Grocery Store or McD's to figure Change Owed when the Register sytem goes down...
help.gif

ROTF.gif

Last edited:

Perhaps after another forty years of curing, you may consider me being seasoned, until then I’ll just stay sauced. LOL

Good luck on your project and hoping it turns out well for you.

T
Funny! I can't say I was happy with the results by any means, other than being edible. Considering my total fail on the smoke there was no bark, and after the steaming step it was pretty much a MESS. But hey, without fails we can't get better right? I was pleased with the flavor though so on my next attempt I know I want to use the same brine and rub recipe... maybe up the black pepper a bit. I suck on peppercorns like some people do candies haha. 

BTW...Ask a Kid in a Grocery Store or McD's to figure Change Owed when the Register sytem goes down...
help.gif

ROTF.gif
Back when I had to take my laundry to a laundromat, I was in constant need of quarters. When I would purchase something for say, $8.58, I would give the clerk $10.08. You could see their head almost explode in confusion! 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky