Curing Humidity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

izzie1701

Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
How crucial is it to have the correct humidity while dry curing items such as salami and proscuitti.  I have an old fridge I am thinking of turning into a curing chamber but I am not sure how to control the humidity in it.  I would assume the humidity would be lower then most recipes recommend.  Would there be any health threats?

Above is a chart of brine solutions that will give you humidities for what you are processing....

Low humidities will cause a skin to form on the outside of the meat and not allow for proper drying.... Causing the meat to spoil later in time....   

I think potassium chloride is "Lite Salt" that is available at all grocery stores...   It may not give the same results as pure potassium chloride, as it has fillers and stuff in it....   You may have to purchase the good stuff on line.....   

Dave

Sorry I am a little confused now. What do I do with this brine solution. Is there a humidifier I need to put it in? Or is it for brining the meat? Sorry again really new to this.

Thank you,

Sorry I am a little confused now. What do I do with this brine solution. Is there a humidifier I need to put it in? Or is it for brining the meat? Sorry again really new to this.

Thank you,
Izzie, morning.....    the saturated salt solution, of your choice, goes inside the curing chamber, set at the appropriate temperature....    Your curing chamber should have a very small fan for air circulation.....   

Now the curing chamber is at the specified Relative Humidity....    It's Physics.....  

If your fridge has the cooling coils exposed to the interior air, humidity will collect as ice/frost, on the refrigeration plates......   That will lower the humidity in the refer....  the salt solution will give up water to equilibrate the interior of the fridge.....    distilled water will have to be added to the "brine" periodically as it evaporates.....  If you add "tap water" to the brine, the salt solution will change RH% control....   This is probably a moot point but ......  necessary so you understand the process so it is done properly...

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky