curing bacon with out nitrates?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herman4

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Mass
I want to do my first bacon, but i really dont want to use nitrates. Can this be done? does anyone have a good cure thay can share?

Thanks

I want to do my first bacon, but i really dont want to use nitrates. Can this be done? does anyone have a good cure thay can share?

Thanks
If you don't use cure, you won't have Bacon.

How 'bout some pulled pork?

Bear

There are ways of doing that---a lot of salt & some sugar, forever curing, but it would have to be done by someone with a much higher pay grade than me, and most people on this forum.

This has been discussed at length on this forum, and often ends a might heated.

There is more Nitrates in some veggies than in Bacon.

Generally if you salt a Pork Belly heavily, you will have salted Pork.

If you want to make Bacon that is safe to eat, you should use Tender Quick, like the step by step in my signature below, or use one of the "Cure #1" recipes used by a ton of guys on this forum.

Bear

For the first time I would recommend using a pre-made kit such as Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon Kit that will get you started and help understand the process.

I want to do my first bacon, but i really dont want to use nitrates. Can this be done?
just the fact that you are asking this question states that you are not ready for this advanced technique.....no offence, not many here are, myself included. like paul and bear have stated there are many other ways to get this done and if you are scared of nitrites, then stay away from veggies like spinach and such.....they have way more than bacon.
This has been discussed at length on this forum, and often ends a might heated.
LOL!

608af57a_3326794623_640ebb2e81.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky