Curing and smoking a Turkey, need some advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingstag

Original poster
Jan 14, 2013
Missouri
I have a 21 pound turkey that I am wanting to cure and smoke this weekend.  I am planning on using the complete turkey cure from waltons, it is a brine cure. 

Here are some questions I have
  • Should the skin of the turkey be removed before put into the brine?
  • Should 12- 24 hours be long enough for the turkey to be in the brine?
  • Is there anything different when smoking poultry vs. say, hams?

I have a 21 pound turkey that I am wanting to cure and smoke this weekend.  I am planning on using the complete turkey cure from waltons, it is a brine cure. 
Here are some questions I have

• [*] Should the skin of the turkey be removed before put into the brine?

No!

[*] Should 12- 24 hours be long enough for the turkey to be in the brine?

Is this the instructions?
    "Use: Use 1.29 lbs. of cure to each gallon of water for a 10% pump."

If so, you need to make the brine and then inject brine equal to 10% of the weight of the turkey (2.1 lbs. in your case)
    I usually soak a bird that size for 48 hours after injecting.
    Start with a fully thawed turkey.

[*] Is there anything different when smoking poultry vs. say, hams?

The smoking procedure can be found near the bottom of the following page.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/poultry-and-game/poultry

HTH

~Martin

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I hope that this isn't a thread hijack. I have smoked many turkeys using a brine without a cure. Is it necessary to use a cure in the brine or have I just been lucky in not getting food poisoning. My brine usually consists of 1 gallon water, 1/2 cup Kosher salt, a cup of brown sugar, a cup of apple juice and a cup of bourbon. Fabulous and informative forum with lots of info! Thanks for any suggestions so that I won't kill my family :-)

OmegaDog12

If you are smoking a turkey 12-14 lbs. or under, it should be above 140° within 4 hours (smoked to 160° though).  However, as in the previous case, a 20-25 lb. turkey will take a lot more time from 40° - 140° than 4 hours, so you need to cure it first to keep botulism from forming.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky