• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cured & Smoked Chicken Breasts

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I've been making these twice a month so we have smoked chicken for snacks, regular salads, and a weekly Cobb salad (which is on the menu tonight). They keep well for 6 or 7 days, then we have a week without, then it's time to smoke another batch. This time I smoked a couple extra and will try vacuum sealing them, which I have not done yet for some reason.

I trim the fat and loose tags, then into a bag covered with Pop's Brine + black pepper for 24 to 30 hours. Next is a cold smoke for 90 minutes in my Big Chief with the top lid vented so the smoker temp is 85°, followed by one hour with the lid on (pit temp of 160°). At this point they can either go into my Big Green Egg or a convection oven until the internal just passes 160° in the thickest part. The thinner ends are usually 170°, but the brine works as a buffer to keep the meat moist even when over-shooting the internal.

Hangin' in the Big Chief
RR7PkuX.jpg
Rigged up on my jerky/kabob set-up for part 2 of the cook.
4DXvqNa.jpg
The finished breasts..... one stubborn breast was still in the Egg.
syFzXTt.jpg

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Looks great.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Man oh man, I can just about taste those.
Looks really nice.
Can I get some slices on toasted and buttered sourdough

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
This, I have to try.
So tired of crappy commercial deli chicken sandwich meat.
24-30 hours is enough for a full cure?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
They look fantastic!
Nice work!
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.