Cured Rabbit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xjcamaro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Western PA
Has anyone cured rabbit meat? I have smoked plenty of rabbit, but my dad said a guy he works with brought in some cured rabbit, and he said it tasted like ham, and it was just in a bag and didnt need cooked. (although it might have been cooked prior) I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on how to cure rabbit meat. I have used TQ for bacon, would i just cure it the same way? Would i need to smoke it to certain temp, or just cold smoke, this is keeping in mind i dont want to have to cook it again, i just want to grab some and eat it.

Im almost thinking of curing it like bacon, 1/2 oz of TQ per lb of meat, or maybe it might be easier to put it in a TQ wet cure (liquid) then smoke it to 145-155*. Does that sound right?

Has anyone cured rabbit meat? I have smoked plenty of rabbit, but my dad said a guy he works with brought in some cured rabbit, and he said it tasted like ham, and it was just in a bag and didnt need cooked. (although it might have been cooked prior) I was just wondering if anyone had any idea on how to cure rabbit meat. I have used TQ for bacon, would i just cure it the same way? Would i need to smoke it to certain temp, or just cold smoke, this is keeping in mind i dont want to have to cook it again, i just want to grab some and eat it.

Im almost thinking of curing it like bacon, 1/2 oz of TQ per lb of meat, or maybe it might be easier to put it in a TQ wet cure (liquid) then smoke it to 145-155*. Does that sound right?

I have cured a lot of rabbit.  Comes out like ham.

Cured Rabbit Article

Last edited:
bbally....does my way of thinking of how to cure it sound ok? Or is there a way you do it that seems to work really good?

bbally....does my way of thinking of how to cure it sound ok? Or is there a way you do it that seems to work really good?

You need to PM shooterrick or bearcarver.  They know about TQ I don't have the experience with TQ to answer the question.

Last edited:

Cured Rabbit Article
Great link & article Bob, but I didn't see where any cure was used.

Bear

Cured Rabbit Article

Bear

Cure 1 used in the greek mixture I make for rabbit.  I wrote it back in 07 when very few wanted to know the details.

Cured Rabbit Article

Bear

Cure 1 used in the greek mixture I make for rabbit.  I wrote it back in 07 when very few wanted to know the details.
OOOPS---Ok, I thought about that, and I searched the Greek thing on the web---Didn't see any cure--Didn't know you had your own Greek mixture.

Thanks for straightening me out on that.

Bear

Cured Rabbit Article

Bear

OOOPS---Ok, I thought about that, and I searched the Greek thing on the web---Didn't see any cure--Didn't know you had your own Greek mixture.

Thanks for straightening me out on that.

Bear
I will type it up and post it in another post so you can make, works wet or as a rub.

XJC,

I never did a wet TQ mix, and I think the rabbit being so variable in thickness would be a bad subject for a dry cure. The parts are from 1/8" thick up to about an inch & a half---right??

Actually I think the best way to cure a rabbit would be in a wet cure with one of the Cure #1 cures.

Bear

Ya your right, even after the way i cut the rabbit up (see my rabbit smokes) and the peices are not very big but i would have plenty of them, thats why i was thinking of a wet cure.

Im not sure if im going to do this or not, i just got to thinking about it. It all depends on how the rabbit hunting goes here in January and February. The fall was too warm and dry for decent rabbit hunting here. And after i smoked those last couple batches of rabbit i dont think anyone will let me do anything else with them! lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky