Cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougmays

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 18, 2010
Gainesville, FL
Soon i'm going to do my first jerky smoke...but i have a question about cure.  Is the general rule of thumb that if i use a cure then i dont have to worry at all about spoilage? 

so if i have cure in my marinade and smoke it...i can put it in ziplocks and keep out with out worrying about it spoiling? or are there still precautions to look out for even with cure?

cured met can spoil, if you are doing jerky then you will be removing water the water that bacteria needs to grow.

icon_cool.gif

Now I have looked and read the bottom link to the curing meat sections and it should really be a requiement before alot of folks start curing anything. That stuff can be dangerous for sure. 

The cure in jerky is to protect against bacteria growth due to the excessive amount of time it takes to dry the meat while in the danger zone. Although it also aids in preserving the meat, the main reason for the cure is to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria while it is drying..... and cure should always be used with caution and measured twice. It can be very harmful if used incorrectly. There is a ton of info on the forum about curing and jerky making.

Last edited:
The cure in jerky is to protect against bacteria growth due to the excessive amount of time it takes to dry the meat while in the danger zone. Although it also aids in preserving the meat, the main reason for the cure is to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria while it is drying..... and cure should always be used with caution and measured twice. It can be very harmful if used incorrectly. There is a ton of info on the forum about curing and jerky making.
What Dave said!

Bear

thanks for all the replies...so the cure is for the drying process.  so is the meat safe once its fully cooked....meaning can i leave it out on the counter in ziplocks? put in fridge? freezer?

should it not matter what happens to it because its been cooked properly?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky