Cure #1 in Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xutfuzzy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 14, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
I've tried reading through the previous posts, and just to make sure I am looking for a definitive answer. 

On Monday I plan on making my first sausages.  Here is the plan:

(1) Cut/grind/mix/stuff the sausages, keeping as cool as possible

(2) Smoke them all to IT of 155-160 (accounting for varying hot zones inside the smoker)

(3) Ice-water bath to prevent shrinkage (amused at irony there)

(4) Leaving out for a few hours to "bloom"

(5) Vacuum sealing for later consumption

So....do I need to use Cure #1 in this process?  I'm not cold smoking, so I didn't think so, but wanted other opinions.  I'm not opposed to using the stuff, and there probably wouldn't be any harm if I did use it, but just wanted to make sure.

The use of cure #1 is to inhibit bacteria growth. Criticail at 120F..You don't really need it if your sausage is gonna be cooked right away..Cool to at least 90F in your ice bath..I personally would use it..

Thanks Leroy 

Botulinum toxin is produced by botulinum spores. The spores are ubiquitous in the environment, and require 3 conditions to germinate: low acid environment, moisture, and anaerobic environment. All 3 conditions are present when smoking sausages. Once the spores germinate and produce toxin, the toxin isn't deactivated until a temp of 185 deg F is acheived for 15 minutes. This is way higher than any edible sausage IT.  It obviously takes some time for the spores to germinate and produce toxin, but who wants to take that kind of chance with the most deadly toxin known to man?

If you are going to immediately cook and smoke the sausage as 'fresh' and raise it from fridge temp of 40° to partially cooked temp of 140° within a 4 hour period, and continue to raise the temp to beyond 146° to fully cooked stage, then you will be 'safe' as a fresh sausage.  However, if you exceed those parameters then you will have to use cure #1.  Using Cure no. 1 is always a good idea with any type of ground sausage as you expose the meat to the air and pathogens throughout the entire product (compared to whole muscle meat that remains intact).  In normal home or shop environment you expose the ground meat to a plethora of nasties!

The only sausage that I don't use cure #1 in is breakfast sausage, as I mix it, grind it, portion it and freeze it within 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!  I am planning on making a jalapeno cheddar sausage, and smoking it at around 225.  Does it make sense to do the bloom then?  I am trying to recreate something similar to what I had while visiting Houston, TX. 

If you are smoking at 225* then you are really just cooking it like you would a fresh bratwurst or italian sausage. Really no reason for ice bath or bloom just take it out of the smoker and put it on a plate and enjoy.
If you are wanting a "smoked" sausage like a kielbasa then it is done at much lower temps and that is why the cure is necessary.

The sausage in the pic you posted is definitely cured.
I would use cure for sure if you're trying to clone the recipe.
Cure has a big impact on the flavor and character of the sausage, regardless of the smoking temp.
I wouldn't exceed a smoking temp of 165-170 (with cure), increased gradually.

~Martin

The sausage in the pic you posted is definitely cured.
I would use cure for sure if you're trying to clone the recipe.
Cure has a big impact on the flavor and character of the sausage, regardless of the smoking temp.
I wouldn't exceed a smoking temp of 165-170 (with cure), increased gradually.

~Martin
Awesome...I will adjust my plan accordingly!  I promise lots of Q-View!

So....now that I can assume it was cured, do I have to let it cure for a few days like I do bacon, or is it ready to be smoked the day I mix it?  Sorry, but I'm a little new to sausage-making.

I add cure and let it set in the fridge at least overnight before doing the final grind. I also let the sausage set in the casings for some time before smoking, others don't wait so long.
Judging from the pic, the sausage is somewhat coarsely ground, I would also take that into consideration too because that has a big impact on the character of the sausage,

~Martin

If you are going to immediately cook and smoke the sausage as 'fresh' and raise it from fridge temp of 40° to partially cooked temp of 140° within a 4 hour period, and continue to raise the temp to beyond 146° to fully cooked stage, then you will be 'safe' as a fresh sausage.  However, if you exceed those parameters then you will have to use cure #1.  Using Cure no. 1 is always a good idea with any type of ground sausage as you expose the meat to the air and pathogens throughout the entire product (compared to whole muscle meat that remains intact).  In normal home or shop environment you expose the ground meat to a plethora of nasties!

The only sausage that I don't use cure #1 in is breakfast sausage, as I mix it, grind it, portion it and freeze it within 30 minutes.
x2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky