Cumberland Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
I decided to grind up two pork shoulders that I picked up from Costco the other day. With nearly 7kg, it turned out to be a fair amount of meat. I decided to do a few different sausages with it. The Cumberland sausage was one I wanted to try since it seems like it would be a great one for my parents. Recipe is from 2 Guys and a Cooler.

Stuffed into 29-32mm hog casings after grinding and mixing with rusk. I made sure to stuff them full!

20240104_161753.jpg

After a short dry time in the fridge, I dropped one into a heated cast iron pan that I re-seasoned for my grandma quite some time ago now. I grabbed it after she passed. It's a plain ol' J.A. Pan co. pan, but the sentimental value is there.

20240104_171826.jpg

After browning on one side, I flipped it and put it in the oven at 350f to cook through. A side of carrots, potatoes and gravy to finish it off. I think my parents are really going to like this one. Its rather mild and has a breakfast sausage flavor profile to it.

20240104_180853.jpg

We love Cumberland sausage. Super simple spice profile and it just works. I don’t add the bread crumbs or rusk and do both bulk and linked sausage. It’s delicious. Yours looks great and nice work. What a delicious sausage.

Reactions: JLeonard and nlife
Never heard of it either but does look delicious! If that was my plate that sausage would be making a turtle shell out of those taters and gravy!

Alot to be said about the sentimental value of things... especially cast iron pans!

Ryan

Reactions: nlife and JLeonard
I have my grandmothers 100+ yr old cast iron skillet....Its my go to one.
That plate with the sausage looks excellent. You cant go wrong with good ole comfort food.

Jim

Reactions: nlife
NL,Looks great, I have never heard of Cumberland sausage,care to post a recipe?

Looks great ,
Now I am like C'moon , I have to look up Cumberland Sausage.

The whole plate looks just like I want.

David

It's the one posted by 2 Guys and a Cooler. The Marianski book as one as well though Marianski uses a LOT more rusk than Eric at 2 Guys. I couldn't find rusk locally, so I had to make my own. I also just used pork shoulder rather than the listed meats and fats.

2 Guys and a Cooler Recipe:

Ingredients​

Instructions​

• Clean your meat of any silver skin, sinew, arteries and cut into small strips or cubes. Place in the freezer for an hour or until the temp reaches 32f – 34F.
  • Grind your very chilled meat on a medium plate (6-8mm)
  • Prepare all of your seasonings, rusk, and liquid and add it to your meat.
  • Mix the meat till it becomes very tacky. If you grab a small handful it will stick to your hand if you hold your hand upside down.
  • Stuff the sausage into a 28mm casing, form your meat into a coil, and let it rest overnight in the refrigerator.
  • Freeze for later or cook till the internal temp reaches 155F. Enjoy

I had to look up Rusk and see what it actually was. I have a source online, but it's easy to make it. I used Scott Rea's recipe for making Butchers Rusk:

Rusk Recipe Ingredients
  • 1 lb (450 g) plain/all purpose flour
  • A pinch of salt (though I used 1.5 tsp)
  • 5 tsp baking powder
  • 6 ½ - 8 ¾ fl oz (185 -250 ml) water
Directions
  1. Mix dry ingredients into a bowl.
  2. Make a well and add water. Mix until it forms a pliable dough.
  3. Roll into 1/2" thickness.
  4. Bake at 450f on a cookie sheet and a lightly greased piece of parchment paper for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove and cut into 1/2" strips and place cut side up.
  6. Reduce oven to 375f and place baking sheet back into the oven for 5 minutes.
  7. After 5 minutes, flip rusk and cook for another 10 minutes.
  8. Cool and blitz in food processor to a coarse grind.
  9. Run through sifter to separate coarse and find grind.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky