Cuisinart Food Processors

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
We're going to try to use the upcoming black Friday and holiday sales to score a new food processor. We've narrowed our target product down to one of 2 Cuisinart machine, the Cuisinart DLC-8S Pro Custom 11-Cup Food Processor and the Cuisinart DFP-14BCN 14-Cup Food Processor. Amazon provides the motor wattage for the latter model as 740W but does not provide that information for the former model. My guess is that the former has less power, but I'd like to confirm that before ruling it out. The difference in capacity is probably not very important for the 2 of us and saving $60 on the price is, but I'd hate to get one that is under powered. Our old and dying fp does not make dough. The ability to make dough is one of the features we are looking for, but it seems that a lot of power would be better than a little.

If anyone has the DLC-8S Pro Custom 11-Cup model, I would be much obliged if you could post the wattage of its motor or PM me.

Between the two, Bigger is better for Dough...JJ

We have both of the Cuisinart and Kitchenaid 14 qt food processors. I find making/kneading the dough creates a lot of heat in the food processors. Using the pulse function when making pie crust much less so.

For bread doughs/pizza crusts, we use a Kitchenaid 6 qt mixer. The mixer handles the kneading of the dough better than either of our food processors. Technically, our mixer has a 575w motor. With differences in the blade/attachment speeds, I would have to assume the gear reduction in the mixer is very efficient when compared to the food processors.

We're fortunate to have both options available to us. When comparing actual usage, our mixer is used 5:1 over the food processors. When the option is one appliance, a lot depends on whether you are going to be using the food processor primarily for doughs or also to chop/dice/grate/etc.

I have a Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro, which is a 7 cup machine.  It will easily make 1/2 lb of dough enough for one 12" pizza using the dough blade, although it flops around a bit.  Seems like there's enough room in there for more dough, but I haven't tried it. Read reviews at Amazon to see how the models you are interested in handle dough.

Reactions: boboso

We have both of the Cuisinart and Kitchenaid 14 qt food processors. I find making/kneading the dough creates a lot of heat in the food processors. Using the pulse function when making pie crust much less so.

For bread doughs/pizza crusts, we use a Kitchenaid 6 qt mixer. The mixer handles the kneading of the dough better than either of our food processors. Technically, our mixer has a 575w motor. With differences in the blade/attachment speeds, I would have to assume the gear reduction in the mixer is very efficient when compared to the food processors.

We're fortunate to have both options available to us. When comparing actual usage, our mixer is used 5:1 over the food processors. When the option is one appliance, a lot depends on whether you are going to be using the food processor primarily for doughs or also to chop/dice/grate/etc.
yeahthat.gif
  we are fortunate as well to have the large Cuisinart and the kitchen aid mixer. we also have the small quart size Cuisinart that I use almost all the time  (easy, light, less clean up) and leave the dough to the KA mixer. Costco is having a sale on the big boy (6qt) KA mixer according to their coupon book this month you might check their pricing for all of the above.

Tom 

Thanks, guys!

Much obliged for the information.

We also have the KA mixer and use it to make bread dough sometimes. I have read here about people making pizza and pie crust dough (and biscuit dough, I think) using the food processor. We are going to have to replace our old fp; so I was using that sort of dough prep a criteria for the replacement.

Thank you, again !

:sausage:

Thanks, guys!

Much obliged for the information.

We also have the KA mixer and use it to make bread dough sometimes. I have read here about people making pizza and pie crust dough (and biscuit dough, I think) using the food processor. We are going to have to replace our old fp; so I was using that sort of dough prep a criteria for the replacement.

Thank you, again !

sausage.gif
Rabbit,

if that is the case then bigger and most power is the answer (a lot of stress) on equipment making dough. as example my MIL has a 325 KA and she makes their version of Portuguese cookies and we make them as well (Italian cookies/Biscotti) hers does a fine job but works at it. we got ours on a deal at WS (600 watt) and it churns thru them. I ground and stuffed thru this unit for a long time and hundreds of pounds of meat before I got my my dedicated grinder and stuffer. just my two cents,

Tom

I have th KA food processor and its been a beast. with the ones your looking at go with the most power you can get

I have a Cuisinart DLC-10S Pro, which is a 7 cup machine.  It will easily make 1/2 lb of dough enough for one 12" pizza using the dough blade, although it flops around a bit.  Seems like there's enough room in there for more dough, but I haven't tried it. Read reviews at Amazon to see how the models you are interested in handle dough.
I had the same machine, but never used it for dough. Preferred to get my hands dirty and workout my frustration by kneeding it my self. Lots of fun too. Keep me busy till my dinner came off my ECB. :)

I have an older 11 cup Cuisinart processor that I use for most everything except bread dough. Even while using the pulse function on thick dough the motor gets warm pretty quick. Pie crusts and pasta dough are no problem but I use a KA mixer for bread dough. Wish I could afford one of those Ankarsrum mixers though. http://breadtopia.com/store/ankarsrum-mixer/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky