Cudighi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yooper22

Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Grew up in the UP and enjoyed cudighi sausage sandwhiches. I got into sausage making a few years ago and want to try & recreate authentic UP cudighi. Does anyone have a recipe they are willing to share? I found one recipe when doing an internet search that seems to have been copied onto many sites. I made 3 lbs last week and was just ok but I am not sure what needs to change. I was hoping to compare it to another.

Add Romano Cheese and Chopped Steamed Spinach and that is what my Grandmother stuffed Meat Ravioli with. Best I've ever eaten! I have not had Cudighi but it sounds great. Maybe the Italian Cheese, Romano or Parm Reggiano is what is missing...JJ

The recipe I used had cinnamon, clove & red wine. It seemed on the right track....but not the flavor profile i was thinking. The cheese and marinara are for after it's cooked and on a fresh Kaiser roll.

I know the Balance of the Spices make a big difference. Grandma would just look at the amount of meat and Shake on what was needed. I have watched many times but when I tried to make the Ravioli, the Spice was not right. You may have to experiment with one pound batches and keep good notes for when you nail the right proportions...JJ

upload_2019-2-15_22-26-16.png

Alright my friend's mom was from the UP and thus I've been invited over for Cudighi nights, she used to d rive to the UP for it..so I am equally interested.

I've never tried it, Heck I never heard of it till now, But, It sounds a lot like a cotechino.
Here's a recipe I pull off the net to give ya some
Ideas.
Does it look anything like your recipe? It has the cinnamon, cove and wine like you mentioned.

Ingredients

• 600 gms – 1 1/3 lbs. pork scotch fillet
  • 200 gms – 7 oz. pork rind
  • 200 gms – 7 oz. rashers without rind
  • 18-20 gms – 3 ¼ tsp salt
  • 50 ml – ¼ cup red wine
  • 3 gms – 1 tsp peppercorns crushed with a mortar and pestle
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp fennel seeds
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp clove powder
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
Author; Manuela Zangara

Harr Harr Inda :P

I'll wait for the Yooper to chime in, but I've had cudighi pasties and I'd like to make them at home..

And I've never heard of contechino but it looks similar. My understanding is cudighi would not have fennel (or anise) which separates it from most other Italian sausages.

Yooper22,

I visited some friends in the UP a few years ago and had cudighis a couple times. I wanted to replicate them at home and, as you, did a search and found the same, or similar, recipes everywhere I looked. On my first try, it turned out OK, but something was missing. On the second try, I added an ingredient that no Yooper would probably consider, Asian fish sauce, and it came out great.

Though you may have already have seen a similar recipe I'll post the one I used below.

Cudighi
  • 6 pound mix of lean pork and fatty trimmings
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • 2 tbsp kosher salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 C dry red wine
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce, Red Boat preferred (optional)
  • 6 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 1 whole clove
Cut pork into roughly 3/4″ chunks. Combine meat chunks with pepper, salt, minced garlic cloves, and spices. Stir well. Let sit, refrigerated, overnight, then partially freeze before grinding

Add 6 smashed garlic cloves, cinnamon stick and clove to 1C wine, and fish sauce, if using, and simmer on stove for 20 minutes, then strain and chill. Top off to 3/4 C wine if it reduces too much.

Mix wine into meat with hands to create tacky sausage texture. Cook a small piece to check seasoning and adjust as necessary. Don’t bother stuffing into casings since you’ll be using it as patties or in bulk.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky