Critique my plan - First attempt at smoked prime rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FXfromTX

Original poster
Dec 17, 2017
I will be smoking prime rib for my employees who will be working Christmas day as well as a few of their family members. It will be my first time smoking prime rib. I'll just get it out of the way and say I know I am crazy to smoke 85 pounds of prime rib on my first time.
Now that that is out of the way, because the employees will be in different locations I will be cooking 6 10 pound PRs and 4 6 pound PRs for a total of 84 pounds. I have a good deal of experience smoking briskets, ribs and anything else you can imagine but I am fairly nervous about the potential of ruining that much Prime Rib on Christmas day for employees and their family.
My current plan is to cover them in salt 2 days in advance, Christmas morning rub down with garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, black pepper and give it time to drop to almost room temperature before placing on smoker, smoke at ~180 degrees, move to ~350 degree direct heat side of smoker when meat reaches 110 degrees to get a good sear and then wrap in foil and drop in cooler to rest once I reach 125 to hopefully achieve a nice medium rare after resting(I think).
All that said, how long should I expect it to take for the PR to reach the 110 degree temp while smoking at 180? Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

I have never smoked one at that low a temp, but I would think about 3 hours or so to get to 110.
Al

I wouldn't bother with the reverse sear cook it to 135-138 IT use a higher heat 225 to 250 IMHO
I also like studding PR with garlic instead of garlic powder
upload_2017-12-17_9-26-6.png
Richie
That is a nice thing to do for the employees

Thanks for the input gentlemen! Richie, it's the least I could do for them, they're the best team in the country!

Best advice i can give is keep an eye on the IT. Low temps are goo but i would keep it in the 225-250 range.You dont need a ton of smoke just subtle kiss in the flavoring of PR. God Made that cow taste good to start with don't worry about need to dress it up too much. with that much i would worry about rev sear just cook some to 135 some to 140 some to 130 for varied tastes of the people eating it. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky