Crippled Taylor Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Long as it's tasty, that's all that matters.

I measured the temperature several times during the SV and each time more fat from the sausage rendered.
I find this part interesting. I had no fat render out of mine in a 160* SV bath for 2 hours, nor did I expect to.

Long as it's tasty, that's all that matters.

I find this part interesting. I had no fat render out of mine in a 160* SV bath for 2 hours, nor did I expect to.
I used store bought ground pork and it was ground fine. And it may have had a higher percentage of fat, but I am just guessing. Maybe I should ask SmokinEdge SmokinEdge .

In the sausage smoking instructions from tallbm tallbm it specifies a ramp heating process. I wonder why it would be different for an SV cook.

And, I think I was unable to pack the casing, there were many air pockets. Before the SV I tried to roll the bottom to squeeze air out but was not as successful.

The original taylor ham recipe from Poli's site just calls for poaching in 160 to 170* water. Poaching in SV at 160* would be no different than poaching on a stovetop. I think maybe the main issue was too many air pockets in the chubs.

I used store bought ground pork and it was ground fine. And it may have had a higher percentage of fat, but I am just guessing. Maybe I should ask SmokinEdge SmokinEdge .

In the sausage smoking instructions from tallbm tallbm it specifies a ramp heating process. I wonder why it would be different for an SV cook.

And, I think I was unable to pack the casing, there were many air pockets. Before the SV I tried to roll the bottom to squeeze air out but was not as successful.
If you SV the sausage to finish, don’t run the temp higher than about 152F SV is a way different finish than any other. Don’t go above 152F

Do you know why I got fat rendered when it was set at 152*F?
If SV temp was set at 152F and you had fat out,,,,,,

Either the fat out was very minimal, or the fat quality was of a poor nature. Most sausage recipes call specifically for back fat, or hard fat. If to much “soft fat” is used, you will see some fat out, or rendering.
Making sausage isn’t just about grinding some meat and stuffing it. It’s much more than that.

Reactions: DougE

Either the fat out was very minimal, or the fat quality was of a poor nature. Most sausage recipes call specifically for back fat, or hard fat. If to much “soft fat” is used, you will see some fat out, or rendering.
Making sausage isn’t just about grinding some meat and stuffing it. It’s much more than that.
I hadn't thought of that. Since he used store bought ground pork, there is no telling where on the hog the fat in the grind came from.

If you SV the sausage to finish, don’t run the temp higher than about 152F SV is a way different finish than any other. Don’t go above 152F
Ok, so if a sausage recipe calls for poaching in 150 to 160* water, what would be wrong with going 160* in the SV pot? It's just more accurate heat source than a stove burner.

I get that, maybe you don't remember, I had to buy the ground pork from the grocery store, or really my wife did.

I get that, maybe you don't remember, I had to buy the ground pork from the grocery store, or really my wife did.
There in lies most of your troubles. That’s my opinion. Preground meat is fine for a quick fresh sausage, but never ok for a cured or processed sausage. Some may disagree, but it’s truth.

I hadn't thought of that. Since he used store bought ground pork, there is no telling where on the hog the fat in the grind came from.

Ok, so if a sausage recipe calls for poaching in 150 to 160* water, what would be wrong with going 160* in the SV pot? It's just more accurate heat source than a stove burner.
Most recipes that are Polish, call for poaching in 170* to 200* water. That said,,,,

In the SV, the thermal dynamics are different and in my experience, anything north of 152F will cause fat out, because that temp range is maximum for fat rendering. I do not understand poaching at 170F fat out every time. Do not SV sausage above 152F that is my advice.

Reactions: DougE
There in lies most of your troubles. That’s my opinion. Preground meat is fine for a quick fresh sausage, but never ok for a cured or processed sausage. Some may disagree, but it’s truth.
I only did this because you encouraged me to.

Sausage in my #1 food group. I have made fresh bulk pork sausage and now summer sausage. I am in heaven, this is so good. I will have to make it again soon, I will be able to walk freely, with a boot, middle of the week.

Here is the fry test and the bite test.
PXL_20220404_182018103.jpg PXL_20220404_182059655.jpg

Thanks everyone for all of your help to make this possible.

Reactions: bauchjw and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky