Creamy Cabbage and Sausage stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
also know as cleaning miscellaneous items out of the frig LOL. Had a few things to use up starting with a head of cabbage. Could have done some fried cabbage with smoked sausage but really had a craving for soup on a cold rainy day. So here we go, a wing it original with lots of pics since I am bored and have the house to myself today except for my puppy helpers.

Gathering some ingredients , the cabbage and sausage need to be used up and the rest is on hand stuff. Started off cutting up the head of cabbage and adding it to the Instant Pot with 4 cups of chicken broth. I did not capture a pic of that but since the cabbage filled the entire 10 quart pot I set it for 4 minutes manual just to cook the cabbage down to make room.

most ingredients.jpg

While the Instant Pot was coming up to temp to pre cook some of the cabbage I cut up 2 lbs. of the smoked sausage and a large onion. Into the cast iron they go.
onions and sausage frying.jpg

Sausage and onion all browned and a large Daikon radish cubed up.

diced daikon.jpg

Added the sausage, onions , salt pepper, garlic and a touch of thyme to the cabbage and broth. Set the instant pot for 9 minutes and will immediately release pressure after.
adding all to instant pot.jpg

Some ingredients for the roux and sauce. About a stick and a third of butter, a full block of cream cheese, 2/3 cup almond flour and about 4 cups of cream.
roux ingredients.jpg

Making the roux with the butter and almond flour, actually makes a nice smooth roux.

roux.jpg

Adding in the 4 cups of cream and block of cream cheese to blend into a creamy sauce.
sauce.jpg

The Instant Pot finished so time to stir in the creamy mix.
sauce added to instant pot.jpg

Worked up an appetite so time to get a bowl ready to eat.

soup bowl.jpg

I was not sure what to expect honestly but it really came out thick , rich and hearty. it is very reminiscent of a thick potato soup. Definitely filling and something I would eat again. I l would cook the cabbage less next time as much of it did tend to disappear. Definitely something I would make again though. Thanks for looking at my weird clean the frig experiment lol.

That actually looks like it would be good. I don't have an instant pot so any ideas on time in a dutch oven?
Honestly not sure. I’d look up time for potato soup in Dutch oven and try that

Looks nice and hearty jcam, perfect for this cold rainy day here. I’m full just looking at it.
Like!

Reactions: jcam222
Wow Jeff...looks like you and I had the same culinary instructor from the creative aspect of this. Great use of stuff needing to be used, super creative, and it sounds wonderful. I'd certinny down a bowl or three of that!! Good job sir.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky