Crazymoon inspired jalapeño and cheddar summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rca dog

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Campbell River, BC
Thanks go to Dirtsailor for the basic recipe, and Crazymoon for the nudge to add jalapeño and cheddar to the mix.

Sorry no pics of the grinding and mixing, as I was single handed again.  I need to work on that.  I basically took DS's recipe, cut the pepper by 1\3, and added 1 cup of chopped jalapeños and 2 cups of chopped old cheddar to the 11 lb meat mix.  I used 80-20 venison-pork and I added 1 lb of pork back fat. (that's where the 11 lbs comes from, and the reason it's not 10 lbs).

So it is stuffed and in the fridge for smoking tomorrow

So tomorrow the smoker is going to be busy !  I am smoking these, then smoking a fattie for our new years dinner.  And in between, I'll be making some hot dogs, Disco style. (sort of)

Last edited:
They are round because that's the shape they take when using these casings.  I got 20 meters that is about half gone now.  It's this stuff :

http://www.stuffers.com/product-p/syrou4720mo.htm

Non edible beef collagen.  Soak in water for 5 or ten minutes then tie one end and stuff.  Tie off the other end.  I haven't got all fancy yet with the hog rings and pliers, but that's next.

You kind of need to prepare to have a bigger area than the straight ones because they just naturally curve as they come off of the stuffer.

I love the jalapeño and cheddar combo, your stuffed pics look great. Looking forward to the smoked pics. 
icon14.gif

In the smoker.  The fatty down below is my wife's first.  I will make a separate post about it.

Out of the smoker and water bath to finish IT

I had one of the rings fall off the rod when one of the ends broke off.  It got a little charred and as a result, I got some fat leakage.  You can see it in the water.

After the hot water bath, it went directly into ice water to cool to below 100 deg IT, then back outside to bloom overnight.

The result

Its all cut up into manageable pieces and vac packed now.  It tastes great, but next time I will leave the seeds and membranes in the jalapeños for a bit more heat.

Reactions: crazymoon
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky