Crazy Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

magnum3672

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Southeast Michigan
Soooo, I started a Butt last night around midnight EST.  And this morning at 6ish I went to check on it (I had went to sleep cuz its an electric smoker and I had set up the AMNPS) and the AMNPS was completely burned through even though I had filled each row and the 7ish pound butt was at 180 degrees IT.

I'm thoroughly confused by this because by my estimation it should take about 12 hours to get this badboy done and I'm sitting at half of that.  I did check the IT in multiple spots (I couldn't believe my eyes!).

I'll get some pics up once its done but man oh man, what a weird smoke.  The weirdest thing to me is the AMNPS completely burning out like that, even if it did jump rows it shouldn't burn out completely (its all ash) in 6 hours.

It sounds like the smoker is running hotter than you think.

What temp did you have it set at?

Do you have an accurate therm at the grate level?

Was the AMNPS away from the heat source?

For the AMNPS to burn up that fast I would think the chamber temp had to be above 275, which would also explain the butt getting done so fast.

Maybe Todd will see this & can give you better answers.

My temp was screamin along at about 230, with an accurate therm at the grate level.

My AMNPS was sittin in the water pan on some pavers wrapped in foil.  My butt should be done in a couple hours and we'll see from how it turns out probably what happened (whether my AMNPS ignited or what)

Sounds like you have done everything right.

Did you have the rows filled to the top with pellets?

If the butt turns out good, thats all that matters.

I guess you'll just have to experiment with the AMNPS, when you can keep an eye on it.

This is the first time I "set it and forgot it" overnight (it really was only about 6 hours I left it) so it was intended to be a tester.  After looking at the AMNPS it looks like some grease/sugar from the Butt somehow got onto it even though it was tented. So that may have had something to do with it.

Anyways, like I said, it's all in the finished product.

OH MY GOSH ITS SO GOOD... I can't find my camera though! MUST FIND CAMERA BEFORE ITS ALL CONSUMED!  

icon_lol.gif
                                                                                                       ...
yeahthat.gif

Maybe it was because you were not opening the smoker up alot...Got any Q-View ??? Got a cell phone ??? Thats what I always use...

Better get those pics, because I'm betting you can eat it even faster than you smoked it !!!!

Do you have a pencil & paper????

Draw a picture for us, at least !!!!!   
biggrin.gif

Bear

Okay, Pictures of final product are gonna have to wait til tomorrow.  My camera is dead (so sad, I buried him in the back yard under the maple tree) however, my girlfriend can give me her camera but not until tomorrow.

PATIENCE PLEASE!

Magnum, thats alot different than the pork butt that I put on at 11pm last nite.  I checked it at 5:30am and it was at 156deg.  Checked it at 8:30am (3 hrs later) and it is just to 157.  I hit the stall pretty good.  Only good thing is that I dont have anything going on today, so I can wait it out.  Im not foiling it so I can get that good bark and that will cause it to take longer I would think. 

Glad yours turned out so good.  Hope mine will be the same

Mike

A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER.

Type AMNPS in the search box above.

Or my last "Prime Rib" in my signature (below) shows one being lit & in the smoker.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky