Crawfish sale...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Local Grocer had farm raised crawfish tail meat on sale...$9.99/#.
IMG_20230227_182612.jpg

I bought 4# becasue that is all I can fit in my freezers at the moment! LOL!! Will be cooking crawfish soon....

if one were to want to have some live ones shipped to the N. Fl. gathering... Where would be the best place/prices to order from ?

if one were to want to have some live ones shipped to the N. Fl. gathering... Where would be the best place/prices to order from ?
I know there are a few places that will ship live crawfish. But you will pay more for the shipping than the mudbugs. I don't really know the best place to get them.

Will be after Easter so hopefully prices will be down then we can just send Keith money and he can bring them with him :emoji_wink:

Fun fact: it takes 9# of live crawfish to have 1# of peeled tail meat. The avg. crawfish sack is around 36#, so there's roughly 4# of tail meat in a sack of crawfish. At $5.89/# boiled (today's price), that's $53.01 for a pound of crawfish tails. Insane......give me peeled tail meat any day and twice on Sundays!

Great price and interesting that this came up as I was looking at Rouses ad and saw them @12.99 a pound. Just had my Hoosier Mardi Gras party Saturday and burned up the last of the rouses boil mix. Will be stopping in Gretna for a quick stop on the way to Venice middle of March. I do recommend the boil mix but I do add garlic, colored peppers , onions, a bit of pickling spice and substitute crawfish for 16-20 count schrimp and andouille:) More bang for the buck and the ladies tend to like the shrimp more than the mud bugs.

I'm ignorant to buying crawfish. I seem to remember there being a season for fresh crawfish. I normally travel to new orleans for business every couple years and it seems sometimes they're more prevalent but I can't remember when. What's the best time to order tail meat? Is there such a thing as ordering fresh(not frozen) tail meat? I'm not going to bother ordering fresh/whole crawfish even though the cool factor is exponentially higher for a cook that way.

Great price and interesting that this came up as I was looking at Rouses ad and saw them @12.99 a pound. Just had my Hoosier Mardi Gras party Saturday and burned up the last of the rouses boil mix. Will be stopping in Gretna for a quick stop on the way to Venice middle of March. I do recommend the boil mix but I do add garlic, colored peppers , onions, a bit of pickling spice and substitute crawfish for 16-20 count schrimp and andouille:) More bang for the buck and the ladies tend to like the shrimp more than the mud bugs.
I did not realize you lived in Louisiana. Cool.

I'm ignorant to buying crawfish. I seem to remember there being a season for fresh crawfish. I normally travel to new orleans for business every couple years and it seems sometimes they're more prevalent but I can't remember when. What's the best time to order tail meat? Is there such a thing as ordering fresh(not frozen) tail meat? I'm not going to bother ordering fresh/whole crawfish even though the cool factor is exponentially higher for a cook that way.
You can get fresh tail meat, but it is not consistent as far as supply...usually between March and May.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky