Crawfish Boil!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome looking spread. Crawfish are delicious. Still wondering if can do one up here in Wisconsin. I was reading on a site they will ship them live to here 'overnight'. Just wondering if they would make it and still be fine to cook??
Thanks for sharing the pics!!
Yes, they will be fine shipped overnight. But I don't recommend holding them for very long...you better be ready to cook them when they arrive.

*edit to add:
just be prepared....the shipping will probably cost more than the mudbugs!

Reactions: WI Smoker77
That's a great-looking crawfish boil! We had one a month or so ago with andouille sausage, potatoes, and corn with a couple packs of store-bought seasoning. Turned out really good.

My question: Has anyone figured out how to eat more than just the tail meat?

Now dats wut I'm talkin' 'bout!! Some serious eats going on there buddy. You're living really well these days...and eating pretty darned good too :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: indaswamp
Probably my favorite food on the planet. We went to a boil in February for my birthday and another at the very end of April. Love em spicy. I can eat 5-7lb no problem. We have a guy. Has a restaurant and 2 trucks does live sacks or already boiled. Brings them up 3x a week from baton rouge. Called Louisiana seafood company. He carries all the gulf goodies year round depending on what's in season. Thanks for posting
Jake, When I was in High School, we lived on a 48 acre property that backed up to a little landlocked swamp. We ran crawfish traps 3-4 times a week and would catch 4-10 sacks every trip depending on rain...less mudbugs if it rained becasue the water only had one small canal to drain so it backed up into the fields and that spread the crawfish out. But it also pulled more bugs out of the ground...so when the water fell once again, we'd start really catching again. We sold a bunch, and ate a bunch. Ate so much crawfish I got burnt out on them.....got realllllllly good at boiling them though!! LOL!!! Back then I remember the lowest price I saw was $0.27/# live...(1) 36# sack for less than $10 bucks. We still made a pile of cash. We got our bait for free...caught mullet in the bayou. Also used fish heads when we had them.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Do you boil them first in clean water, then let them seep in spice mixture? I ran across this double boil method the other day on YouTube and had not seen it before. Helps clean them out supposedly.

Jake, When I was in High School, we lived on a 48 acre property that backed up to a little landlocked swamp. We ran crawfish traps 3-4 times a week and would catch 4-10 sacks every trip depending on rain...less mudbugs if it rained becasue the water only had one small canal to drain so it backed up into the fields and that spread the crawfish out. But it also pulled more bugs out of the ground...so when the water fell once again, we'd start really catching again. We sold a bunch, and ate a bunch. Ate so much crawfish I got burnt out on them.....got realllllllly good at boiling them though!! LOL!!! Back then I remember the lowest price I saw was $0.27/# live...(1) 36# sack for less than $10 bucks. We still made a pile of cash. We got our bait for free...caught mullet in the bayou. Also used fish heads when we had them.
Very nice. When I moved from Alaska to Mississippi we could catch a good bit. Nothing like south Mississippi or Louisiana though. I do remember after a good rain you could look across the yard and would be covered with mounds where the crawdads crawled out. We used to stick a blade of grass in, wait for the tug then pull em out fast. Where I get mine around here they are about $3ish/lb at start of season and they get closer to $5 and over the closer to may/June you get. That's for live. Already cooked are slightly more expensive. But like I said it's probably my favorite thing to eat. I'd pay a premium if I had to lol

Do you boil them first in clean water, then let them seep in spice mixture? I ran across this double boil method the other day on YouTube and had not seen it before. Helps clean them out supposedly.
Nope. Everything all in one pot. Now I have seen people boil them and then sprinkle the seasoning on the outside....i really don't like the results. Restaurants started this fad to cut costs on seasonings to crank crawfish out fast. Not the same as the way we do it here in south Louisiana....

Where I get mine around here they are about $3ish/lb at start of season and they get closer to $5 and over the closer to may/June you get.
Weird....prices start high here and drop like a rock later in the season as the shells harden and the crawfish become difficult to peel. After this weekend, prices will really fall.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky