craving a better smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nhgrumpy

Original poster
May 23, 2015
I started off with a MES 30 electric smoker to see if I would like it. Upgraded to a Traeger 780 which is around 4 years old now. I use it every weekend and smoke for 3-4 familes. Now I want to upgrade. Do I need to ...no but I have the itch. Been looking hard at the Yoders and Gators. A friend loves his rectec and is trying to talk me into the 2500. Looking online I like how big the 2500 is but I really likes the look of the Yoder but the waitlist is long. I do have a dealer getting some in July just not the color I wanted. The gator seems to be built like a tank. What are your thoughts or recommendations?

Reactions: JLeonard
Like you, I started out with several types of smokers and I kind of settled in with a pellet smoker. I too got a "itch" and started shopping for a stick burner. Was all set to pull the trigger on a Lang 48" when I discovered the HBT smokers. I bought what they call the Deluxe and I love it. I got mine made with smooth steel verses their trademark diamond plate. I justified it (in my head anyway) since we have a family gathering of about 20 adults maybe once or twice a year. Now even when I cook for just my wife and I, I will generally pull the Deluxe out of the garage instead of using the pellet cooker.

Those are all good smokers. I have the RT 1250 and LOVE it. The 2500 will handle a lot of food. But like others have said having a different type of smoker is also nice.... I have 2 pellets, 2 reverse flows, a baby charcoal, and the X-Fire.....I know I have an problem....

Those are all good smokers. I have the RT 1250 and LOVE it. The 2500 will handle a lot of food. But like others have said having a different type of smoker is also nice.... I have 2 pellets, 2 reverse flows, a baby charcoal, and the X-Fire.....I know I have an problem....
Can't decide what you want next huh?

Ryan

I started off with a MES 30 electric smoker to see if I would like it. Upgraded to a Traeger 780 which is around 4 years old now. I use it every weekend and smoke for 3-4 familes. Now I want to upgrade. Do I need to ...no but I have the itch. Been looking hard at the Yoders and Gators. A friend loves his rectec and is trying to talk me into the 2500. Looking online I like how big the 2500 is but I really likes the look of the Yoder but the waitlist is long. I do have a dealer getting some in July just not the color I wanted. The gator seems to be built like a tank. What are your thoughts or recommendations?
I have a LoneStarGriilz cabinet being built right now, should have it in May. Heard great things, as close to set it and forget it while getting the wood flavor of a stick burner. I have a RT too and it’s been great, will continue to use but can’t wait for the cabinet. You should check them out.

Reactions: ofelles
My son gave us a big Masterbuilt 1050 gravity smoker which seems to work like a charm using pure hardwood charcoal. We beefed it up with mods from LSS to give it hopefully longer life. We have just cooked chops and roasts so far and have smoked some of our homecured bacon. We had a traeger given to us which was fine but took a lot of attention. We have snow on the ground for over 6 months so a unit which is self tending on our covered porch is pretty sweet.

I know I have an problem....

No sir. You may be developing one but you're not there yet. If you wanna see somebody with a problem, you need to come visit :emoji_laughing: I currently have 7 on the patio and 3 more in the garage due to not having room for all of them. Maybe my problem really is that the patio is just too small. At 1000 s.f.I didn't think I'd ever say that but mayhap it's true.

I pulled the trigger on a 640. Dealer in connecticut has some coming in this month.

Excellent choice. I was actually gonna give you another option before seeing that you'd already pulled the trigger. Pack up and come to TX. Bring a truck, a trailer, and your checkbook. We will build you one in whatever style you want :emoji_wink:Oh well, you're not going wrong in any way with what you have coming.

Robert

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky