1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Crab boil injection question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rbranstner, Jan 15, 2011.

1. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I see that a lot of people use crab boil as on of the ingredients in their injections for various meats. I see that it is a concentrate so do you mix it with water at all or just pour it in your injection mix? How much do you use as I don't want it to be too strong?

2. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Ahhh my secret ingrediant .

I use a capfull in my injection . 1tsp. You can taste it to tell if you want more.

I also use it in marinades and especially in my mustard mix that i put on butts b4 rub.

Note : Liquid crab boil is made up of oils and essences so DO NOT put it in your injection if you are going to heat it or cook it  untill it has been heated and cooled back down as it will cook away. Enjoy

3. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

LOL Bob,

Your secret ingredient??

Only to those who may not have read hundreds of your posts.

As soon as I read RB's question, I was hoping you would be there to answer him.

Bear

4. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So when you use it in your marinades do you heat it and cool it?

5. mballi3011

mballi3011 Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now I have seen Bob in the morning and he puts crab boil in his coffee.

6. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Allways add the liquid crab boil after any heating. That way it doesn't cook away.

I use it in gravies and soups but it taks a different ammount and i just pour and taste . But if you try this add a little at a time as it can over power something quick.

I would recomend the powdered crab boil for cooking as it is all powder and won't cook away.

the only reason i don't use powder is the salt content.

the powder is also great in a rub.

Kinda a kicked up version of  old bay