Cowboy Steak Time! Buy those Prime Ribs, Cut into Steaks, then onto the Charcoal Grill!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
For the newbies, Prime Ribs can be cut into Cowboy steaks. Typically a 5.5 lb to 6.5 lb Prime Rib can be cut into two big, thick, beautiful rib eye Cowboy steaks. They are on sale this time of year. Usually I wait until after Christmas and pick up Choice grade Prime Ribs for $5-$6 / lb. This year I've picked up several Select grade for $5.98/lb. Some of the Selects are not very marbled; some look like Choice. Those are the ones I buy.

If you've never grilled a 3" thick, bone-in Rib Eye, here's how I do it.

1. Light dusting of Montreal Steak Seasoning, vacuum seal, then into the fridge for 4-24 hours. You can also just wrap in plastic wrap too. Works just as good.
001.JPG

2. Remove from the plastic and spray with any oil you like so it won't stick to the grill. Now you gotta admit, that's one sexy looking steak.

002.JPG

3. Put some wood chips in your charcoal baskets (hickory below), fire up 32-40 briquettes of good charcoal in a chimney, then add to the baskets.

003.JPG

004.JPG

4. Put the cooking grate in the BBQ, throw on the steak, put the lid on, and char for 3-4 minutes. I always use a timer and leave it running for the entire grill smoke. Just makes for a more consistent result. Flip, close the lid, and char the other side for 3-4 minutes.

The smoke looks white/grey, but there's no taste of ash or creosote on the meat. The fire is too hot.

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

5. Then move the steak to the indirect side of the grill, put the vent over the steak, and let it come up to your desired Internal Temp. I grill mine to my wife's preference, which is medium rare. It will sit on the indirect side until about 45-50 minutes total on the timer. IT of 120-125F.

008.JPG

6. Remove when the desired IT is reached, cover with foil and a towel, and let rest about 20-30 minutes. You can eat it sooner, but I've found that 20-30 minutes gives the muscle a little more time to relax. Even a Select grade steak will be tender and juicy.

014.JPG

015.JPG

7. Cut and enjoy. (I actually took the intact steak pic before I rested the meat, then the cut pic in case you're wondering about the time stamps).

011.JPG

016.JPG

If your mouth isn't watering by this point, check your pulse.

Thanks for looking!

Ray

That's a great looking steak. Never made on that thick.

That looks great. i have a very similar setup with my Weber kettle. I made a cowboy steak last summer for my neighbor's birthday, didn't taste it myself but he said it was great! I got it cheap at Sam's club already cut into a cowboy steak.

I smoked and reverse seared it...

I'm going to use your method next time!

Happy Smoking (or grilling!),
phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks all! My wife and I are practicing portion control so we each get two meals off that one steak.

I obviously don't French the bone for a true Cowboy steak, but there's a reason. I don't have a dog, so I turn canine once we've cut the last bit of meat off the bone. Gnawing on that meaty bone is the perfect ending to great grill. Dogs know EXACTLY what they are doing!

I made a mistake with a 3.5" thick Cowboy steak last night that made me think I ruined it. Turned out to be AWESOME! It is amazing how we can discover things by mistake, and SMF is responsible.

Here's the story. I've been a bit under the weather recently, so I've wanted something simple to fix for dinners with stuff I had around the house. I started with my version of an old Italian peasant dish my mom used to make with bacon, potatoes, onions and green beans. She called it Tiella (tee-aaa-la), but that's a different thread.

A couple days ago I pulled a vacuum sealed a 3.5" thick, Select grade Cowboy steak from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge. Yesterday morning I opened it up, threw on some Montreal Steak Seasoning for dry brining, then vacuum sealed it again for about 8 hours.

Fired up the Kettle, seared both sides for 4 minutes, then onto the indirect heat side, bone toward the heat, planning to remove it when the IT was 125F. Checked it 45 minutes into the cook and IT was 104F. Checked it ten minutes later and temp was 119F. Planned on letting it go for another 5 minutes to reach 125F when I decided to kill that five minutes here on SMF. Started answering a post and lost track of time. When I realized what had happened fifteen minutes later, I made an exclamation about how dry goods in Colonial times used to be labeled "ship high in transit," then ran out to the Kettle. IT was 134F! I figured I just overcooked a beautiful 3.5 lb Cowboy steak. I spoke a lot of Colonial shipping terms while pulling it off the Kettle.

I brought it inside, covered it, let it rest for 30 minutes. When I started cutting it, the meat was as tender as butter, and practically melted in my mouth. I cut the bone out right away and the meat just pulled off nicely, a "competition bite" as they say. My wife said so many OMGs while eating hers I was beginning to think I was a steak master. Then I remembered, it was all a mistake! Didn't think about pics, sorry, but now you know that sometimes the best things can come from mistakes.

Next time I grill Cowboy steaks, 134F will be my target temp, and all because of SMF.

Another great steak and a great story Ray! Since I've started dry aging steaks, Im having a much harder time gauging doneness because they cook so much faster. I just straight-up sear on the Smokey Joe part of the WSM. Sometimes I will put a couple hours smoke on steaks or chops before they go on the SJ. I don't have a kettle anymore, but I think I am going to try your method on the WSM in a similar manner by searing it on the grill part first then assembling the upper and putting it on the top grill and closing the lid until it comes to temp. Do you know what your pit temp is on the indirect side at grate level right next to your steak? I have 1/2 of an aged select angus bone-in ribeye I am about to try this on.

Another great steak and a great story Ray! Since I've started dry aging steaks, Im having a much harder time gauging doneness because they cook so much faster. I just straight-up sear on the Smokey Joe part of the WSM. Sometimes I will put a couple hours smoke on steaks or chops before they go on the SJ. I don't have a kettle anymore, but I think I am going to try your method on the WSM in a similar manner by searing it on the grill part first then assembling the upper and putting it on the top grill and closing the lid until it comes to temp. Do you know what your pit temp is on the indirect side at grate level right next to your steak? I have 1/2 of an aged select angus bone-in ribeye I am about to try this on.

Erik, to answer your question, I don't know the actual temp, but an educated guess would be about 350F. I don't have a therm on my Kettle and have never checked with my oven therm. Back when I used the Kettle to smoke turkeys hot n fast, I found there was about a 100F difference between the exhaust temp and the grate temp.

With top and bottom vents full open, then a small chimney of hot RO Ridge briquettes spread between two baskets and set over to the side, the exhaust temp opposite the fire gets up around 500F when the probe is inserted in the exhaust. The chamber temp decreases during the sear because the exhaust temp usually drops back down after I move the steak to the indirect side. The exhaust temp will settle down to about 425-450F after about fifteen minutes. The temp at the grate level is lower.

I think what you're suggesting would work great in the mini.

Wow Ray that looks great..... I have never tried something like that before but now would really love to try it. I see a light in the end of the tunnel for me so that means smoking will be happening in abundance soon. Putting it on the list!!!
Points for sure on that....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky